San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Wins 2012 Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player Award
November 29, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK (November 29, 2012) - Major League Soccer today announced that San Jose Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski was voted the Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player for the 2012 season.
Today at approximately 4 p.m. ET, Wondolowski will receive the award and be presented to media in the Los Angeles area covering MLS Cup 2012 at The Home Depot Center.
Wondolowski's 27 goals this season tied the League's all-time single-season goal record and won him a second Budweiser Golden Boot award. He also became the only player in MLS history to score the most regular season goals in three consecutive seasons. His consistency throughout the season earned him four MLS Player of the Month awards, a feat unrivaled through the sixteen MLS seasons.
The California native led the Earthquakes to their second Supporters' Shield title in club history, just a year removed from finishing 14th overall in the League.
Since entering MLS in 2005, Wondolowski has recorded a total of 68 league goals, 64 of which came after moving from Houston to San Jose in the middle of the 2009 season. He ranks twentieth all-time in MLS goal scoring, two behind Cobi Jones.
The award was voted on by media, MLS players and MLS club management based on regular season performance. The other two finalists were Sporting Kansas City midfielder Graham Zusi and New York Red Bulls forward Thierry Henry. Below is a breakdown of the voting for the top four candidates:
Player (Club) % of Club Votes % of Media Votes % of Player Votes Weighted Total
Chris Wondolowski (SJ) 91.23 96.97 70.83 259.03
Thierry Henry (NY) 0 3.03 11.46 14.49
Graham Zusi (SKC) 3.51 0 3.13 6.64
Brad Davis (HOU) 3.51 0 0 3.51
All-Time MLS Most Valuable Players:
2012: Chris Wondolowski - San Jose Earthquakes
2011: Dwayne De Rosario - D.C. United
2010: David Ferreira - FC Dallas
2009: Landon Donovan - LA Galaxy
2008: Guillermo Barros Schelotto - Columbus Crew
2007: Luciano Emilio - D.C. United
2006: Christian GÃ"mez - D.C. United
2005: Taylor Twellman - New England Revolution
2004: Amado Guevara - MetroStars
2003: Preki - Kansas City Wizards
2002: Carlos Ruiz - LA Galaxy
2001: Alex Pineda ChacÃ"n - Miami Fusion
2000: Tony Meola - Kansas City Wizards
1999: Jason Kreis - Dallas Burn
1998: Marco Etcheverry - D.C. United
1997: Preki - Kansas City Wizards
1996: Carlos Valderrama - Tampa Bay Mutiny
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 29, 2012
- No Surprise: Meyer Ready for the Occasion of MLS Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Wins 2012 Save of the Year - Real Salt Lake
- CREW TO PARTICIPATE IN WALT DISNEY WORLD PRO SOCCER CLASSIC - Columbus Crew SC
- Patrick Ianni Earns MLS Goal of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- 2012 AT&T Goal of the Year and 2012 Save of the Year Winners Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Partner with Harbour City FC to Launch Island Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Expectations Increase as Revs Look Toward 2013 - New England Revolution
- San Jose Earthquakes' Chris Wondolowski Named Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player - San Jose Earthquakes
- Lucky's Pub to Host Official Dynamo Viewing Party for MLS Cup Final on Saturday - Houston Dynamo
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Wins 2012 Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player Award - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.