Hogs Squander Early Lead, Fall 5-4November 27, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Rockford IceHogs
Rockford scored three goals within the first five minutes of the first period before Texas eventually found their offense midway through the period to begin their comeback.
Jimmy Hayes ignited an IceHogs scoring frenzy just 1:51 into the first period. Texas goaltender Jack Campbell blocked a Ben Smith shot but Hayes was there on the doorstep to sweep in the rebound and give Rockford the early 1-0 lead.
Less than two minutes later and on the power play, Marcus Kruger cleaned up a Brandon Saad shot to put the Hogs up 2-0.
The early scoring continued when Hayes one-timed a cross-ice Shawn Lalonde pass at 4:37 for his second goal of the evening. Smith added his second assist of the night on the play.
But Antoine Roussel ceased the Hogs scoring spree and Texas answered with four goals of their own. Roussel squeaked in a power-play goal past Rockford netminder Alec Richards to cut the lead to 3-1.
Then at the 14:59 mark, Alex Chiasson tipped in a Jordie Benn shot to make it a one-goal game. Jamie Oleksiak assisted on the play.
The Stars tied the game 6:03 into the second frame. On their second power play of the night, Benn ripped a slap shot over Richards' left shoulder to knot the game up at 3-3. Benn was set-up by Cody Eakin and Tomas Vincour.
Then, the Stars gained control of the game at the 14:57 mark with their first lead of the night. Reilly Smith delivered a shot in traffic and past Richards to push Texas ahead 4-3.
The Texas lead lasted just over two minutes before the Hogs answered while on the power play. Adam Clendening fired a shot from the right faceoff circle at the Texas net where Andrew Shaw tipped it in to lock the game at 4-4 heading into the final period.
On their third power play of the night, the Stars converted for a third time when Colton Sceviour picked-up a loose puck and snapped it into the back of the net to push the Stars back into the lead for good.
Richards turned away 14 of the 19 chances he saw in a losing effort while Campbell earned the win with 33 saves. The Hogs finished 2-for-7 on the man advantage while Texas converted on all three of their opportunities.
American Hockey League Stories from November 27, 2012
- Hogs Squander Early Lead, Fall 5-4 - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Erase Early Deficit, Win 5-4 in Rockford - Texas Stars
- High Five the Hogs this Holiday - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Recall from Loan Jonathan Hazen and David Pacan - San Antonio Rampage
- Amerks Continue Homestand with Another Busy Three-Game Week - Rochester Americans
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Dallas Returns Hubert Labrie To Idaho Stars - Texas Stars
- Barons Recall Dan Ringwald from Stockton; Loan Teigan Zahn to Stockton - Oklahoma City Barons
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Rockford Looks to Keep Rolling Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Milwaukee Admirals Weekly Update - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins and Tobyhanna Army Depot Join Forces for 14th - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins to Skate Wednesday at Rosa Parks Circle to Kick Off "Wednesday is Hockey Night" - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Cannata Heads to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- IceCaps Release Whitmore from PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- B-Sens Team with Magic 101.7 for 2012 Teddy Bear Toss - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Recall Guentzel from ECHL Fort Wayne; Three Others Head to Komets From Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Giant Center to Host Penn State Men's Hockey on February 1 - Hershey Bears
- Stars Weekly (Week 8) - Stars Complete Home Stand, Grab Three Points In Week 7 - Texas Stars
- NTV Teddy Toss Slated for December 7 - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.