Red Bulls-D.C. United MLS Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Semifinals Second Leg PostponedNovember 7, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New York Red Bulls
"All the indications we had were for inclement weather, but certainly not a snowfall of this magnitude," said MLS Executive Vice President Nelson Rodriguez. "We did our best to try and stay ahead of [the snowfall], but unfortunately couldn't. In the end, you can't jeopardize the safety of the athletes and the game itself deserves a better field for the magnitude of the game."
"We are obviously extremely disappointed that we were not able to play the match. As with any MLS event, the League has the final decision to play or postpone a match and we consulted with them regarding our common concerns surrounding tonight's game extensively. Under very difficult conditions this evening, we attempted to make the pitch as playable and safe as possible, but it was not meant to be due to the heavy snowfall accumulation," said Red Bulls General Manager JérÃ´me de Bontin. "We feel sorry for the fans who made their way out to Red Bull Arena for the match and we are already working on ways to reward them for their unbelievable support and dedication to our club."
Tickets to Wednesday's match will be honored Thursday. Fans with questions may call 877.RB.SOCCER.
As a result of the postponement, the first leg of the Eastern Conference Championship has been moved to Sunday, Nov. 11 at 4:00 PM ET on NBC Sports Network.
Major League Soccer Stories from November 7, 2012
- Red Bulls-D.C. United MLS Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Semifinals Second Leg Postponed - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Clinch Berth in Eastern Conference Championship - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United-New York Red Bulls Match Postponed Until Thursday, November 8 - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls vs. D.C. United Playoff Match Rescheduled for November 8 at 7:30 p.m. - MLS
- Impact Faces Bologna FC Thursday in Italy - Montreal Impact
- Preview: RSL V. Seattle Sounders FC - Western Conference Semifinal - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Announce Free Windows 8 App Available for Thursday's Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dynamo Visit Sporting KC Tonight with Eastern Conference Championship Berth on the Line - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas Re-Signs Richard Sanchez ; Releases Four - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Re-Sign Defender Arne Friedrich - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.