Condors Name Levi Nelson CaptainOctober 25, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Bakersfield Condors
"It's exciting, an honor, and a privilege," Nelson said. "I just want to do anything to help the guys and lead us to a championship. We've really come together early on here in the season and it's been awesome. We're a tight-knit group already and we'll look to build off that to win hockey games."
Nelson, 24, currently leads the team in scoring with 7 points (3g-4a) through five games including back-to-back three point nights to start his Condors career. A 6th round draft pick by the Boston Bruins in 2006, the Calgary, Alberta native has the most American Hockey League (AHL) experience of anyone on the 2012-13 Condors with 138 games played between Providence and Norfolk. He spent last season in Germany where he scored 28 goals and added 16 assists for 44 points in just 31 games played.
"We waited because we wanted to make the right selection," O'Dette said. "He (Nelson) knows what it takes to get to the next level and is someone who I think the guys look up to. He'll do a great job."
Serving as alternate captains at home, Boyd and Annesley are both in their second professional seasons in Bakersfield. Boyd spent half his rookie season as the team's captain and finished third on the team in scoring last year with 40 points (17g-23a). Annesley was second among defensemen on the team with 21 points (4g-17a).
On the road, Burgdoerfer and Cohen will serve as alternates. Burgdoerfer is the longest tenured Condor on the roster, now in his third full season in Bakersfield, and served as an alternate captain last season. Cohen spent the last two seasons in the American Hockey League (AHL) with the Lake Erie Monsters.
"As a group, they all lead by example and are consummate professionals," O'Dette said. "Boyd and Burgdoerfer have past leadership experience here that they can draw on, Cohen has been at the next level, and Annesley is an emerging leader for us by preparing the right way day in and day out."
TEAM POSTER AND YOUTH JERSEY GIVEAWAYS
The Condors are on Dignity Health home ice to take on the Las Vegas Wranglers Friday and the Stockton Thunder on Saturday.
Friday night everyone in attendance will receive a 2012-13 Condors Team Poster courtesy of KERN 1180 AM and Castle Printing.
On Saturday, the first 2,000 children, 12 and younger, will receive a #8 Parker Stanfield "SoCal Kid" Youth Jersey presented by La Preciosa 105.3 FM and Three Way Chevrolet-Cadillac.
Doors open at 6 p.m., the puck drops at 7 p.m., both nights. For more information please call 324-PUCK (7825).
SAVE BIG MONEY WHEN YOU GET A FREE JERSEY
There will be a large crowd here early this Saturday to get a "SoCal Kid" jersey. Save 35% off walk up prices AND get in the doors early to secure your child a jersey with a Condors Ticket Plan. Being a Condors tickeet plan holder allows you to access the arena 15 minutes earlier than non-ticket plan holders to greatly increase the probability that you'll be one of the first 2,000.
Plus, by committing to as few as six games and you get to pick which six, you'll save 35% off this Saturday's tickets AND you can make monthly payments! Call 324-PUCK (7825) to find out more on how you can become a Condors ticket plan holder.
CONDORS HIT THE ROAD SUNDAY
Just because the team is on the road, doesn't mean you can't get your Condors hockey fix. Tune in as the Condors battle the Thunder in Stockton at 4 p.m. Condors Countdown gets you set at 3:45 p.m. on Fox Sports Radio 970 AM, available online at www.foxsports970am.com, or through the iheartradio app. The game will also be streamed live on pay-per-view video through www.americaonesports.com.
ECHL Stories from October 25, 2012
- Petersen's Hat Trick Lifts Orlando to 5-3 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Fall to Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Alaska Adds Defensemen Alain Goulet - Alaska Aces
- Condors Name Levi Nelson Captain - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - October 25 - ECHL
- Titans Alumni Game Cancelled; Other Activities to Continue - Trenton Titans
- Goaltender Reiter Recalled to Bridgeport - Fort Wayne Komets
- Greenville Receives Goaltender Scott Stajcer - Greenville Road Warriors
- Eagles Asking Fans to Nominate 'Hometown Heroes' to be Honored During Upcoming Military Appreciation - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Name Greg McCauley Assistant Coach - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. South Carolina Stingrays Tonight - Orlando Solar Bears
- MeiGray Group Accepting Orders for 2012-13 ECHL Game-Worn Jerseys - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Battle Solar Bears Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Road Warriors Away Game Time Changed - Greenville Road Warriors
- ECHL Today - October 25 - ECHL
- Reign Suffer 7-2 Loss to Steelheads - Ontario Reign
- Balanced Steelheads Top Ontario, 7-2 - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.