Riley Armstrong Named ECHL Player of the WeekOctober 16, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Utah Grizzlies
Armstrong had three goals and one assist as the Grizzlies beat Idaho 5-3 Friday in Boise and 2-1 Saturday at Maverik Center to improve to 2-0 on the year.
The 27-year-old opened the week with three goals, including the game-winning tally, in a 5-3 season-opening win at Idaho on Friday. He followed that up with an assist on the game-winning goal in a 2-1 victory against the Steelheads on Saturday.
Armstrong is tied for the ECHL lead with three goals and is tied for third with four points.
A native of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Armstrong has 13 points (6g-7a) in 13 career ECHL games with Utah and Elmira. He has tallied 167 points (86g-81a) in 402 career games in the American Hockey League with Cleveland, Worcester, Abbotsford, Grand Rapids and Binghamton. He also has two games of NHL experience with the San Jose Sharks in 2008-09.
On behalf of Riley Armstrong, a case of pucks will be donated to a Utah youth hockey organization by Sher-Wood Hockey, the exclusive puck supplier of the ECHL. Since beginning its sponsorship of the award in 2000-01, Sher-Wood Hockey has donated more than 27,000 pucks to youth hockey organizations in ECHL cities.
The Grizzlies resume action Friday and Saturday in Alaska. Face-off each evening is scheduled for 9:15 p.m.
The Grizzlies return to Maverik Center Friday, October 26 to host Colorado and Saturday, October 27 to host Idaho. It is Oktoberfest all weekend and Saturday is Angel's Hands Night. Visit utahgrizzlies.com to buy tickets.
ECHL Stories from October 16, 2012
- 10,091 Witness Fort Wayne ECHL Opener; Komets Cap Opening Weekend with 6-2 Win at Evansville - Fort Wayne Komets
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Old Burdick's and K-Wings Team up - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Alum Todd Richards to Take Part in Opening Night Ceremonies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Signs Free Agent Right Wing Yannick Riendeau - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Fathead Giveaway and Star Wars Night this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- Riley Armstrong Named ECHL Player of the Week - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - October 16 - ECHL
- Kennedy and Schaus Sent to Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- Utah's Armstrong Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Meet the Nailers Tonight at River City Ale Works - Wheeling Nailers
- This Saturday: Kids Eat Free - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Add Forward François Bouchard - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Marc Cheverie Named ECHL Goalie of the Week - Elmira Jackals
- Elmira's Cheverie Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Military Appreciation Night, Sgt. Slaughter and Kid's Day Highlight Weekend for Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.