D.C. Sportsperson of the Year Presented by Arent Fox: Dwayne De RosarioAugust 28, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) D.C. United
The D.C. Sportsperson of the Year award was created to recognize and honor the Greater Washington region's most outstanding individual in sport in the past year. Past recipients of this award include Redskins' Chris Cooley, UMD's Grievis Vasquez, and Capitals' Alex Ovechkin.
"We are very excited to acknowledge De Rosario's athletic achievements at this year's event," said Robert Sweeney, President of the Greater Washington Sports Alliance. "His outstanding dedication and performance on the field this past year has proven him to be a tremendous athlete and a true leader in Washington D.C. sports."
Dwayne De Rosario serves as the captain for D.C. United, one of nineteen teams in Major League Soccer. Last November, De Rosario was officially named the MLS Volkswagen Most Valuable Player for the 2011 Season. Additionally, he won the MLS Golden Boot for leading the league in goals scored during the regular season. He finished last season with an impressive 16 goals and 12 assists. De Rosario was also a part of the 2011 and 2012 MLS All-Star teams. This year, he leads MLS with 10 assists, and has D.C. United in position to make the MLS Cup Playoffs for the first time in four seasons.
"Dwayne has not only proven himself as the best player in MLS, but has also become the centerpiece for our team both on and off the field," said Kevin Payne, President and CEO of D.C. United. "We are proud of his great accomplishments and are grateful for this recognition by the sports community."
Proceeds from SneakerBall IX will support the Greater Washington Sports Alliance Collaborative, the non-profit arm of the Sports Alliance that uses the philanthropic generosity of individual and corporate donors to make strategic investments in emerging non-profits that use sports to enhance children's lives.
The 9th annual SneakerBall Gala will be held on September 11, 2012. For more information or for sponsorship opportunities, visit www.sneakerball.org or contact Dani Brand at email@example.com .
Major League Soccer Stories from August 28, 2012
- D.C. Sportsperson of the Year Presented by Arent Fox: Dwayne De Rosario - D.C. United
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids to Celebrate "Colorado Heroes Night" at September 5 Game - Colorado Rapids
- Four Dynamo Players Called up for World Cup Qualifying Matches - Houston Dynamo
- Alonso Named U.S. Open Cup Player of the Tournament - Seattle Sounders FC
- United's Salihi Named To Albania's World Cup Qualifying Roster - D.C. United
- Konrad Warzycha Loaned to Carolina RailHawks - Sporting Kansas City
- De Rosario and Jakovic named to Canada's World Cup qualifying roster - D.C. United
- D.C. United Players and Coaches Record Psa's for 'You Can Play' - D.C. United
- Earthquakes D Victor Bernardez and M Marvin Chavez Named to Honduras National Team for World Cup Qua - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Announces 2012 Coaching Clinic Presented by Tim Hortons - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Announce No Increases in Season Ticket Prices for 2013 - Portland Timbers
- Crew Soccer Academy to Face U.S. U-17 Men's National Team on September 10 at OSU's Jesse Owens Stadi - Columbus Crew
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.