FC Dallas Loans Ruben Luna to NASL's San Antonio ScorpionsAugust 20, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) FC Dallas
"Just as we did with Moises Hernandez, we thought this was a good opportunity for a young player to get the games he needs to continue his development," said FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman. "It's nice having a team like San Antonio so geographically close. It gives Ruben the chance to really speed up the growth process, without us having to send him too far away."
Luna signed with FC Dallas as a Homegrown player on July 30, 2010. That year he scored a team-high 26 goals in 29 appearances for the FC Dallas U-18 Academy and was named to the U.S. U-18 Development Academy Starting XI. Last season, the then-19-year-old forward appeared in 15 MLS games for the professional team, scoring his lone goal of the year in the regular-season finale, a 4-2 loss to San Jose. In 2012, Luna has appeared in seven games, making two starts and scoring one goal.
Luna also led the MLS Reserve League in goals with 10 during the 2011 season. He found the back of the net twice in a CONCACAF Champions League match against Tauro FC on Sept. 28, 2011, to lead FC Dallas in goals scored during the competition. Luna also picked up his first two goals of the 2012 MLS Reserve League on May 1 as FC Dallas Reserves drew Sporting Kansas City Reserves 2-2.
The San Antonio side has already clinched a playoff berth for the 2012 NASL season and is home to several former FC Dallas players, including Aaron Pitchkolan, Blake Wagner and Jeff Cunningham. Cunningham and Luna were teammates in 2010. San Antonio is 12-6-4 on the season. They have six regular-season games remaining.
Major League Soccer Stories from August 20, 2012
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Weekly Update: Rapids Visit San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Loans Ruben Luna to NASL's San Antonio Scorpions - FC Dallas
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls, Sporting Kansas City to Battle in Top of Table Clash Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Midfielder David Ferreira Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chicago Fire Head to Nation's Capital for Midweek Battle Against D.C. United - Chicago Fire
- Dynamo Ties Columbus 2-2 - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Come from Two Down to Beat Timbers, 3-2 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.