Dan Straily to Make Big League DebutAugust 3, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods)
So far in 2012, Straily has 175 strikeouts in 138.1 innings pitched while spending time in Double-A Midland and Triple-A Sacramento. He was called up from Triple-A after going 5-2 with a 1.36 ERA. He currently leads the minors in strikeouts and his 175 are more than major leaguers Stephen Strasburg (154) and Justin Verlander (152).
The Redlands, Calif. native played for St. Cloud in 2009 before being drafted by the A's in the 24th round of the 2009 MLB Draft. While with the River Bats, he went 0-1 with a 3.50 ERA and recorded 12 strikeouts in 18 innings pitched. In 506 innings pitched in the minors, Straily has 544 strikeouts and a career ERA of 3.68.
Straily becomes the 15th former St. Cloud player to play in the Major Leagues. He joins former players like New York Yankees' third baseman Casey McGehee and Washington Nationals' pitcher Tom Gorzelanny in the big leagues. Straily is the 93rd Northwoods League alum to make it to the big leagues and the 41st to appear in a game in 2012.
The Northwoods League has more teams, plays more games, and draws more fans than any other Summer Collegiate Baseball League in North America. The League has 16 teams in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, and Ontario.
Northwoods League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Rox Win Third Straight - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Lose One-Run Affair - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Win Rain-Shortened Game against Duluth, 7-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Scheffert Cooks up Mallards with Huge Night - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Rally Late, Lose in Ninth - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bombers Earn Wire-to-Wire Victory - Battle Creek Bombers
- MoonDogs vs. Alexandria game postponed - Alexandria Beetles
- Woodchucks Enjoy a Chinook Fish Fry in Friday Nights 5-1 Loss - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stadler throws five perfect innings, Chucks win 5-1 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Honkers Blow Early Lead, Lose to Bucks 7-5 - Rochester Honkers
- Goose Droppings - Rochester Honkers
- Dan Straily to Make Big League Debut - Northwoods
- Mallards Look to Stay Hot on the Road - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Take Down First-Place Loggers - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Rafters Drop to Bombers in Extras, 6-5 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Drop Opener to Duluth, 10-7 - Willmar Stingers
- Shay Gives Bombers Win in Extras - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.