Hickory Metro Sports Commission Selected to Host Great Smokies Basketball ShootoutAugust 3, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Hickory Crawdads
The Hickory Metro Sports Commission worked with area high schools including Hickory, Bunker Hill, Foard, Newton-Conover and East Burke. Middle schools, elementary schools and parks and recreation departments were also enlisted to secure the use of gyms at over 20 locations in Catawba County.
The Hickory Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) estimates economic impact from this past year's event to be in the neighborhood of $2.5 million dollars. Over 600 hotel room nights were occupied, the restaurants were visibly crowded and some area attractions saw welcomed visitors.
According to Joe Carrington, Program Director for the Basketball Club of Western NC who conducted the tournament, Hickory exceeded their expectations. "I received more thanks and compliments during the hour that I was in one of your restaurants about the Great Smokies Shootout than ever had at our previous location. We look forward to making this an annual event in Hickory."
"This event is great for the area and provides a significant economic impact," noted Mark Seaman, Chairman of the Hickory Metro Sports Commission and Crawdads General Manager. "The Sports Commission worked hard to bring this event here and we look forward to its return."
The Hickory Metro Sports Commission is a non-profit organization whose mission is to further the quality of life through the development, promotion, and recruitment of sporting events and activities to the Greater Hickory area. For more information about the Sports Commission visit www.hickorysports.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from August 3, 2012
- T's Snatch Game One from the 'Gnats - Asheville Tourists
- Shorebirds Fall 7-4 in Game One to Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rome wins record 12th straight Kannapolis native Query 2-for-4 with 2 RBI - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Pick-Up Series Opening Win - Greenville Drive
- Skole's Legendary Walk-Off Grand Slam Lifts Suns over Lexington - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Take Weather Shortened Game 2-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Steers by 'Dads, 4-1 - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Arms Maintain Hold on First - West Virginia Power
- 'Claws Shutout by Power, 2-0 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Charleston Downs GreenJackets in Rain-Shortened Game on Friday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hickory Metro Sports Commission Selected to Host Great Smokies Basketball Shootout - Hickory Crawdads
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Take Third Straight over Asheville, 9-5 - Lexington Legends
- Mayo's Home Woes Continue; T's Fall 9-5 - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.