Rainiers Roughed Up By RedHawks, 7-1August 3, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
The Rainiers found themselves trailing early after surrendering what proved to be an insurmountable three runs over the game's first three innings. Shortstop Brian Bixler put the RedHawks up 1-0 after scoring on fielding error in the second, then Mike Hessman extended the OKC lead to three runs with a two-run blast with two outs in the third.
Tacoma notched the club's only run of the outing in the bottom of the fourth. Third baseman Vinnie Catricala singled a line drive to center field with two outs, scoring first baseman Justin Smoak from first base, and cut the Rainiers deficit to 3-1.
Beginning with a two-out, two-run double hit by catcher Chris Wallace in the sixth, the RedHawks finished off the game with four unanswered runs of support.
Catcher Guillermo Quiroz recorded the Rainiers only extra-base hit with a triple in the in the fifth inning - the eighth of his 14-year playing career. Catricala, Smoak, Alex Liddi and Carlos Triunfel all delivered singles in the contest.
Starter Andrew Carraway (3-6), who was reinstated from the club's disabled list earlier in the day, was dealt the loss after surrendering three runs - two earned - on four hits over 3.2 innings. The right-hander struck out three RedHawks batters and issued one walk.
Right-hander David Pauley allowed a pair of runs in the sixth; snapping a streak of 25.0 consecutive scoreless innings pitched by the Rainiers bullpen since July 25.
The Rainiers (47-66) host the third game of the club's four-game series with RedHawks (63-49) at 7:05 p.m. tomorrow, August 3. Right-hander Hector Noesi (0-3, 10.31) is scheduled to make his fifth start of the season for Tacoma in the contest against right-hander Brian Bass (1-5, 6.75) for Oklahoma City.
A special Friday Night Fireworks display will be held immediately following the conclusion of the game.
Every Rainiers game can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available to be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email email@example.com. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Round Rock wins 8-7 - Tucson Padres
- Chasers Fall 5-3; Five Game Win Streak Snapped - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Fall to Salt Lake - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Skaggs Dominant in 5-3 Aces' Victory - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Rally Past Tucson 8-7 - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Drop Seventh Straight - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 3, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Coleman Rejoins Iowa, Parker Rehabs with I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Aces Aim to Beat the Heat with Hot Doggest Nights - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Tucson Padres - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Name LHP Brooks Raley Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Iowa Cubs
- Rainiers, Union Bank Hit a Home Run for Area Youth - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Lose to Fresno in Extras, 4-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Roughed Up By RedHawks, 7-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ely Resilient in 8-5 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cowgill Powers River Cats Past Redbirds, 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- RedHawks Snap Skid in 7-1 Victory - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Salt Lake rallies for win - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Sting Zephyrs, Snap Seven Game Win Streak - New Orleans Zephyrs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.