Cubs Name LHP Brooks Raley Minor League Pitcher of the Month
CHICAGO - The Chicago Cubs today named Single-A Peoria shortstop Javier Baez and Triple-A Iowa left-handed pitcher Brooks Raley as the organization's minor league player and pitcher of the month for July.
Baez, 19, batted .368 (39-for-106) with six doubles, three triples, seven home runs, 20 RBI and 21 runs scored in 28 July games for Peoria. Last month he led the Midwest League in hits (39), total bases (72) and slugging percentage (.679), and was second in extra-base hits (16), batting average, runs scored and OPS (1.076). Baez was named Midwest League Player of the Week for July 9-15, and his 39 hits were the most in a month by a Peoria player since Justin Bour had 40 in August of 2010.
Selected by the Cubs in the first round (ninth overall) of the 2011 Draft, Baez is hitting .330 (69-for-209) with 10 doubles, five triples, 11 home runs, 32 RBI, 40 runs scored and 19 stolen bases in 56 games for Peoria this season. Since making his debut May 28, he leads the Midwest League with a .584 slugging percentage and a .965 OPS. The right-handed hitter has a .370 average (17-for-46) against left-handed pitching and a .319 average (52-for-163) against righthanders.
Raley, 24, posted a 2.12 ERA (7 ER/29.2 IP) in five July starts for Iowa, walking just 12 while striking out 28 and limiting opponents to a .254 batting average. His 2.12 July ERA ranked fourth-lowest among Pacific Coast League pitchers. Raley allowed two or fewer runs in each of his five outings while recording three quality starts, and surrendered just two home runs in 132 batters faced.
Raley has combined to go 6-10 with a 3.58 ERA (52 ER/130.2 IP) in 22 starts between Double-A Tennessee and Iowa this season. Selected by the Cubs in the sixth round of the 2009 Draft, he owns a 22-27 career minor league record with a 3.74 ERA (172 ER/414.0 IP) in 80 games, all but three as a starting pitcher. He has issued just 131 walks in 414.0 innings pitched, striking out 280.
2012 CUBS MINOR LEAGUE AWARD WINNERS
Month Player Pitcher
April 1B Anthony Rizzo RHP Frank Batista
May 1B Anthony Rizzo RHP P.J. Francescon
June 2B Logan Watkins RHP Nick Struck
July SS Javier Baez LHP Brooks Raley
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Round Rock wins 8-7 - Tucson Padres
- Chasers Fall 5-3; Five Game Win Streak Snapped - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Fall to Salt Lake - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Skaggs Dominant in 5-3 Aces' Victory - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Rally Past Tucson 8-7 - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Drop Seventh Straight - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 3, 2012 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Coleman Rejoins Iowa, Parker Rehabs with I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Aces Aim to Beat the Heat with Hot Doggest Nights - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Tucson Padres - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Name LHP Brooks Raley Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Iowa Cubs
- Rainiers, Union Bank Hit a Home Run for Area Youth - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Lose to Fresno in Extras, 4-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Rainiers Roughed Up By RedHawks, 7-1 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ely Resilient in 8-5 'Topes Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Cowgill Powers River Cats Past Redbirds, 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- RedHawks Snap Skid in 7-1 Victory - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Salt Lake rallies for win - Salt Lake Bees
- Bees Sting Zephyrs, Snap Seven Game Win Streak - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.