Storm Chasers' Wil Myers Pads Lead for Joe Bauman Home Run AwardAugust 2, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Omaha Storm Chasers
The 21-year-old Myers has increased his home run lead from one to five in the last two weeks over Oklahoma City first baseman Mike Hessman. Mike Olt also has 28 home runs, but he was just called up last night to the Majors by the Texas Rangers from Double-A© Frisco. Cody Decker of San Antonio is next with 26.
Myers, whom the Kansas City Royals picked in the third round in 2009, hit 13 home runs for Northwest Arkansas to begin his season. He was promoted to Triple-A© Omaha in May.
Classification leaders, provided they are not the overall winner, receive a $500 cash award. Hessman, the active leader in career MiLBâ¢ home runs with 357, leads Triple-A by five over Charlotte's Dan Johnson. Ernesto Mejia of Gwinnett is six back with 22.
Olt has a six homer lead in Double-A over Decker, who hit four homers with Triple-A Tucson to begin his season. Joseph Dunigan (Jackson), Nathan Freiman (San Antonio) and Luke Murton (Trenton) each have hit 21. Chris McGuiness (Frisco) and Huntsville's Hunter Morris have 20 home runs apiece.
Telvin Nash (Lancaster) and Matthew Skole of Hagerstown are tied atop the Class A© leaderboard with 23. However, Nash is currently on the disabled list. Skole recently returned from missing two weeks with a hand injury. Aaron Baker, who is just one homer behind, was promoted from Hagerstown to Double-A Bowie a couple of weeks ago. Dusty Robinson (Stockton), Miguel Sano (Beloit), George Springer (Lancaster) and Trayce Thompson (Winston-Salem) are just two behind Nash and Skole.
Joey Gallo of the Rangers in the Arizona League leads all Short Season-Aâ¢ and Rookie© league players with 14 dingers. Patrick Leonard (Burlington) trails Gallo by three. Saxon Butler (Staten Island) and Fred Ford (Burlington) have 10 each. Robert Maddox (Billings) is next with nine.
Chicago Cubs All-Star Bryan LaHair won the Joe Bauman Home Run Award last year when he hit 38 home runs for the Iowa Cubs.
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 2, 2012
- Omaha Defeats Reno, 4-2, for Fifth Straight Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cubs Drop Early Lead, Fall to Sky Sox - Iowa Cubs
- Tucson win in shutout - Tucson Padres
- Round Rock Express Blanked by Tucson 2-0 - Round Rock Express
- Omaha Takes Second-Straight over Reno, 4-2 - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers' Wil Myers Pads Lead for Joe Bauman Home Run Award - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 2, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Tucson Padres - Round Rock Express
- Isotopes Sloppy in 7-6 Loss to Las Vegas - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Davis Homer Propels Sounds to 11-Inning Win in Fresno - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.