Nine Hits But Not Enough RunsJuly 28, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) West Michigan Whitecaps
Following a three run third for the Hot Rods (21-13, 59-45), West Michigan collected three consecutive singles to open the fourth. Lance Durham then drove in a run on a fielder's choice play and Jason Krizan came up with an RBI single to cut the lead in half, but that was the last time that either team was able to score.
With the Hot Rods tandem rotation, starter Roberto Gomez pitched only three innings, despite keeping West Michigan (17-15, 54-50) off the scoreboard. Reliever Felipe Rivero (8-7) allowed both Whitecaps runs and six hits in three innings, but was credited with the victory.
Jeff Ferrell (3-4) went five innings and took the loss for West Michigan.
Bowling Green's runs came on a solo home run in the second inning off the bat of Jeff Malm, followed by a Whitecaps throwing error and a two run double by Alejandro Segovia in the third.
Austin Hubbard earned his 15th save by tossing a perfect ninth inning for the Hot Rods.
The Whitecaps finished with nine hits in the game.
West Michigan will play the middle match up in the three game series Sunday in Bowling Green. First pitch is at 6:05 EDT. RHP Wilsen Palacios (11-6, 3.48) will be on the mound for the Whitecaps against Hot Rods RHP Trevor Shull (26-, 5.68). The next home game at Fifth Third Ballpark will be Dime Dog Night on Tuesday, July 31, featuring 10-cent hot dogs in addition to Silver Slugger Night. Group and individual tickets can be reserved by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Errant Throw Gives Fort Wayne Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Lose 10-4 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Solve Whitecaps on Saturday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Nine Hits But Not Enough Runs - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Taylor Provides Another Walk-Off Winner for Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Win on Great Lakes' Late Miscue - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Pop Kernels, 6-1 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Roar Back for Win - Kane County Cougars
- Gallego Tallies Four Hits in Hawks Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- River Bandits Lose Fourth Straight on Another Walk-Off - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Streaking LumberKings top Rattlers on a walkoff single - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hobson Drives Lugnuts To 9-5 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Escape with One Run Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Battle Back But Fall 6-5 at Lake County - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Bees Make Roster Moves - Burlington Bees
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for July 31-August 3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Great Lakes Drops Series in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Baez's blast downs Kernels, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.