Rascals Comeback Falls ShortJuly 25, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
Gateway (35-26) took a 1-0 lead on a homerun from Vladimir Frias in the second before stretching that lead to 4-0 in a third inning that saw Rascal starter Keli'i Zablan (4-4) allow just one hit but he hit a batter and walked three in the frame.
Frontier League ERA leader Tim Brown (7-2) held River City scoreless on just three hits in the first five innings before Eric Williams coaxed a walk to start the sixth and scored following a single from Charlie Lisk and groundout from Jeremy Synan to make the score 4-1.
River City closed to 4-2 the following inning as Matt Serna and Ryan Kaup singled to start the inning before Ben Hewett dropped down a bunt to squeeze in Serna from third.
After Doug Shields pitched two perfect innings in relief of Zablan, Cory Caruso took over in the seventh and pitched into the eighth before Alex Sunderland allowed an inherited runner to score to stretch the Grizzlie lead to 5-2 but Gateway left the bases loaded.
After a quiet home eighth, former Rascals Richard Barrett entered in the ninth looking for his first save against the Rascals after blowing two in the previous matchup in O'Fallon that ended in three-straight walk-off wins.
Serna reached with one out on a walk, Kaup followed with a single but when Hewett singled up the middle, Kaup was caught around second base and after the rundown finished, River City had runners and second and third with two outs but a groundout ended the threat.
The Rascals and Grizzlies continue the series tomorrow with first pitch set for 7:05. Gateway sends Alex Kaminsky (5-4, 4.97) to the mound against Blaine O'Brien who makes his professional debut.
Frontier League Stories from July 25, 2012
- ThunderBolts lose 15-8 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rockford Splits Doubleheader with Normal - Rockford RiverHawks
- CornBelters Split Doubleheader at Rockford - Normal CornBelters
- Beach Bums Bust out the Bats in Victory - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Rascals Comeback Falls Short - River City Rascals
- Brown Pitches Grizzlies to Win against Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- One More Than Enough for Roth and Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Otters Rally Back Twice for 7-5 Win over Miners - Evansville Otters
- Miners Fall Short at Bosse Field - Southern Illinois Miners
- Bonus Baseball at Home for Schaumburg Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- July 25 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Fall in Extra Innings to Crushers - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.