Whitecaps FC U-18 Residency Defeat De Anza Force 4-2July 19, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Ben Fisk netted a second consecutive hat-trick for the "Caps, giving him an incredible six goals in the first two matches of the Academy Finals.
"Ben Fisk has been fantastic so far in this tournament and has shown a real nose for the net," Whitecaps FC U-18 Residency head coach Craig Dalrymple told whitecapsfc.com.
With the win, Whitecaps FC are now in pole position to qualify for the championship match on Sunday at BBVA Compass Stadium - home of Major League Soccer's Houston Dynamo. In order to do so, Vancouver need only to hold off North Carolina Fusion on goal differential. The "Caps currently sit at +5 while the Fusion sit at -1 after defeating Colorado Rapids 4-2 on Wednesday.
Whitecaps FC opened the scoring in the 14th minute when they countered quickly to spring Fisk on a breakaway, as the Vancouver native finished to make it 1-0.
Shortly after the 30-minute mark, Bryce Alderson made it 2-0 after breaking in from 30 yards out. Eight minutes later it was 3-0, with Alderson setting up Fisk for his second.
Though they had a commanding lead, the "Caps would not relent, as Ben McKendry set up Fisk for his third goal on 58 minutes to make it 4-0.
De Anza weren't about to give up and fought back to make it 4-2, but the "Caps held firm and retained their lead to earn an important victory.
"We got off to a fantastic start and really controlled the play throughout the game," said Dalrymple. " This tournament has been great to showcase our talent and the program as a whole."
Next up for the 'Caps is their final group match against Colorado Rapids academy on Friday at 6 p.m. PT. Should the 'Caps win or draw, they will guarantee themselves a spot in Sunday's USSDA championship final.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2012
- AT&T MLS All-Star Coach Ben Olsen Selects San Jose Earthquakes Defender Justin Morrow - MLS
- Earthquakes D Justin Morrow Added to 2012 MLS AT&T All-Star Gameday Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers U-23s Face Fusion in PDL Western Conference Semifinals - Portland Timbers
- AT&T MLS All-Star Festivities Kick off Friday, July 20 - MLS
- Crew News & Notes: Crew Renews Rivalry with Match against D.C. United on Saturday - Columbus Crew
- adidas and Major League Soccer Announce World's First Smart Soccer League - MLS
- Earthquakes Pick up Points in Supporters' Shield Standings with 2-1 Win - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Comes Back to Knot Whitecaps FC 2-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chelsea FC Tops Sounders 4-2 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC U-18 Residency Defeat De Anza Force 4-2 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.