Bees Rally for Series-Opening WinJuly 18, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Jose Macias (4-5) took the win for the Bees out of the bullpen, tossing 1.1 scoreless innings. Seth Simmons (3-2) was hit with the loss, surrendering two earned runs on two hits over 2.2 innings. Jonathan Joseph converted his sixth save in as many tries for Burlington.
Trailing 3-2, Eric Groff hit an opposite field RBI double in the seventh inning to tie the game. It remained tied until the ninth inning when the Bees struck for two runs and sent eight men to the plate. Nick Rickles hit a go-ahead RBI double off Simmons. Another scored on a fielder's choice from Bobby Crocker that induced a throwing error from Eric Groff.
Kerry Jenkins, Raul Navarro and Groff each recorded two hits for the Silver Hawks. Jenkins started a one-out rally with a double in the seventh inning. Roidany Aguila followed with a single but Jenkins was thrown out at the plate by leftfielder Rashun Dixon.
The Silver Hawks raced out to a 2-0 lead in the game. Navarro put the Silver Hawks on the board with an RBI fielder's choice in the third inning. Matt Helm hit his seventh home run of the season, a solo blast to left field in the fourth.
Archie Bradley started for South Bend and did not factor in the decision. The right-hander allowed three earned runs on two hits over five innings. The Bees scored three runs in the fifth inning on three walks and two hits. Bradley exited with South Bend trailing 3-2.
Right-hander Jesse Darrah hurled a scoreless inning out of the Silver Hawks bullpen. Keith Hessler notched the final out of the ninth inning.
The Silver Hawks and Bees play the middle game of a three-game series Thursday at Coveleski Stadium. Right-hander J.R. Bradley (6-6, 4.55) starts for South Bend and he will be opposed by righty Tanner Peters (0-3, 6.08). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. EST. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com .
Midwest League Stories from July 18, 2012
- Miller Dazzles in Complete Game Four-Hitter - Clinton LumberKings
- Suarez Celebrates Birthday, Leads 'Caps to Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- McMahan blasts game-winning homer in tenth for Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Quad Cities Manages Just Three Hits in 7-1 Loss to Captains - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Lose 9-8 in 10 on Wednesday - Peoria Chiefs
- TinCaps Blank Kernels in Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rickles Lifts Bees in Ninth, Win 4-3 in South Bend - Burlington Bees
- Longballs Fuel Hot Rods to Checkered Flag - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps tame Kernels bats, 6-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Blanked in Bowling Green - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Win Streak Extended to Five with 7-1 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Bees Rally for Series-Opening Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Clinton Blows by Dragons 4-1 - Dayton Dragons
- Lansing/Beloit rained out, twinbill Thursday - Lansing Lugnuts
- Moreno Rejoins Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Tonight's Game Cancelled against Lansing Lugnuts - Beloit Snappers
- Shipers Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Clinton LumberKings
- Illini Night with Coach Groce on August 28 - Peoria Chiefs
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Release Mobile Site Update with Social Media Platform - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Make Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Goncalves Promoted to Ft. Myers - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Gameday for July 18 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.