Sacramento Sinks Rainiers In Extras, 9-8July 18, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Tacoma Rainiers
With the score tied at 8-8, Sogard led off the top of the 13th inning with his second homer of the night - a solo shot off right-handed reliever Steven Hensley that sealed a third consecutive extra-innings loss for Tacoma over the club's last five games.
Extra innings were necessitated after Sacramento infielder Collin Cowgill erased an 8-7 Rainiers lead in the eighth inning with a one-out solo home run off left-hander Brian Moran.
Earlier in the game, outfielder Trayvon Robinson hit a go-ahead three-run home run in the seventh that gave Tacoma a brief one-run lead until Cowgill's home run in the top of the next inning. The Rainiers had trailed by as many five runs as late as the fifth inning.
Robinson's 3-for-6, three-RBI effort led a Tacoma lineup that combined to collect 11 hits. Darren Ford, Nick Franklin and Luis Jimenez all turned in two-hit efforts, with Franklin hitting a solo home run in the fifth inning.
The reliever Hensley (1-4) was dealt his third consecutive loss after surrendering the home run to Sogard in the 13th inning. Starter Brian Sweeney surrendered five runs on six hits over 4.0 innings, while walking four and fanning three.
The Rainiers (40-55) host the third game of the club's four-game series with the River Cats (59-38) at 7:05 p.m. tomorrow, July 18. Seattle Mariners top pitching prospect Danny Hultzen (1-1, 4.24) is scheduled to start for Tacoma against right-hander Dan Straily (3-2, 1.09) for Sacramento.
Every Rainiers game can be heard live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and is available to be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
To purchase season tickets, group packages or party decks for the 2012 season, call (253) 752-7707 or email email@example.com. Up-to-date news and notes throughout the season can be found at www.tacomarainiers.com and by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 18, 2012
- Sox Early Lead Evaporates in 11-8 Loss to Salt Lake - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Eighth Inning Rally Sparks 10-5 Win - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Cubs Clean up Sloppy Z's in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Zephyrs Fall to Iowa Cubs in 11 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Butler Leads Round Rock Express Past Nashville 8-5 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Fall to Express, 8-5 - Nashville Sounds
- 'Topes and 'Birds Postponed, Doubleheader Set for Tomorrow - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Wells Placed on Disabled List - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Nashville Sounds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: July 18, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Aces Host Women's Baseball 101 - Reno Aces
- Sacramento Sinks Rainiers In Extras, 9-8 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Cats Outlast Tacoma in 13 Innings, 9-8 - Sacramento River Cats
- Sox Late Rally Falls Short in 6-4 Loss - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- 'Topes Trounced by Memphis 11-4 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Beats Tucson Twice Tuesday - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.