TinCaps Dominant in 8-1 Independence Day WinJuly 4, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Fort Wayne (9-4, 40-43) scored the game's first run on a second-inning double by catcher Austin Hedges. Duanel Jones scored from first base as Hedges turned on a pitch from Felipe Rivero (6-7) and drove it into the left field corner.
The 1-0 TinCaps advantage carried into the fourth inning when, for the fourth time this season and the second time since the All-Star break, Fort Wayne scored seven runs in an inning. Eleven batters came to the plate against Bowling Green (7-6, 45-38) righty Roberto Gomez. The inning featured run-scoring base hits by Tyler Stubblefield, Kyle Gaedele and Jace Peterson. Yeison Asencio drove in the frame's final run with a sacrifice fly. Bowling Green's only run came on a seventh-inning solo homer by Tyler Goeddel.
Garces (5-4) surrendered three hits in his outing, and over his last four starts has surrendered just one earned run in 20 innings, while striking out 19 and walking eight. James Jones, Luis De La Cruz and Daniel Cropper all pitched in relief.
Game two of the series is scheduled for Thursday night at 7:05. The scheduled starters are Midwest League ERA leader Adys Portillo for Fort Wayne and Trevor Shull for Bowling Green.
Midwest League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Bees' Struggles in Peoria Continue, Lose 8-2 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Lose on the 4th to Quad Cities - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels fall to Wisconsin, 10-9 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Gaviglio, Offense Push Bandits Past Cougars for 12-7 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Whitecaps Open Homestand With 4th Of July Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Pierre, Lugs provide late fireworks in 8-4 win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Break Club Hits Record in 17-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Squash Hawks with 24-Hit Attack - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Two out Magic Helps Captains Win 6-1 - Lake County Captains
- Lansing Tops Loons on July 4 - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Dominant in 8-1 Independence Day Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Rocket Past Kernels With Big Eighth Inning - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Geiger and Zapata Homer Chiefs to Holiday Win - Peoria Chiefs
- Goeddel Homers But Big Inning Dooms Hot Rods - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves: July 4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.