Alan Bates Nomniated as Whitecaps FC 2012 MLS W.O.R.K.S. Community MVPJuly 3, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The Vancouver Street Soccer League uses soccer to inspire and empower the most vulnerable. The league is made up of teams that provide friendship for the homeless, physical fitness for the ill and addicted, direction for at-risk youth, and cultural focus for other unique communities such as inner-city First Nations people. The Vancouver Street Soccer League is associated with Street Soccer Canada and the Homeless World Cup.
"It's a great honour to be selected as the Vancouver nominee for the Community MVP program," said Bates. "Street soccer offers members of the homeless community a chance to be part of a team and belong to a community of athletes. This is why the Community MVP program is a great tie-in for the Vancouver Street Soccer League."
For Bates, it's his love of the sport of soccer and Vancouver that make him want to continue to give back to the community.
"We are thrilled to have Alan Bates represent Vancouver in the 2012 MLS Community MVP contest," said Rachel Lewis, Whitecaps FC chief operating officer. "We encourage everyone to vote for Alan and help him win $10,000 for local charity. We are proud to support Alan's quest to be the MLS Community MVP."
The Community MVP contest runs until Friday, July 13, at 2 p.m. PT. The winner will receive the grand prize of $10,000 to their local charity, as well as a trip to the 2012 MLS All-Star game at PPL Park in Philadelphia.
You can vote for Alan Bates online on the MLS W.O.R.K.S website at mlssoccer.com/mlsworks/community-mvp/vote . Vote as many times as you can to help Alan win the contest.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 3, 2012
- Dynamo Tie Fire at Home - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire Earn Hard Fought 0-0 Draw against Houston Dynamo - Chicago Fire
- RSL Host Seattle Sounders FC in Independence Day Clash - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC to Face Montreal Impact on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Alan Bates Nomniated as Whitecaps FC 2012 MLS W.O.R.K.S. Community MVP - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Award $37,000 in Community Fund Grants - Portland Timbers
- Impact Faces Kansas City at Stade Saputo Wednesday - Montreal Impact
- Goalkeeper Josh Ford Removed from Disabled List - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Hits Road for Next Match - Sporting Kansas City
- This Week in MLS: All-Star First XI to be Announced Sunday on ESPN - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.