Timbers U-23s Earn 2-0 Road Win over Fraser ValleyJune 29, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Portland Timbers
In the middle of a season-long, three-match road stretch, the Timbers U-23s keep pace in the playoff race in the Premier Development League's Northwest Division with the win.
Scoreless at halftime, the Timbers U-23s took the lead early in the second half after Fraser Valley was called for a handball in the box, which set up Evans for a penalty-kick goal. In the final minutes of the contest, a long ball played over the top by Richey set up Welshman for a scoring chance and the forward was able to put away the insurance goal for the 2-0 victory.
Richey recorded his second shutout of the season and was credited with an assist, Evans scored his third goal of the season and Welshman logged his second goal to help lead the Timbers U-23s (8-3-1, 25pts) to their third win in the last four matches.
Mariners FC (0-12-1, 1pt) closed out their June schedule with the loss and will play their regular-season home finale on Monday, July 2.
The Timbers U-23s finish a two-game road trip in British Columbia on Saturday against Victoria Highlanders FC at Royal Athletic Park at 7:15 p.m. (Pacific).
Major League Soccer Stories from June 29, 2012
- Timbers U-23s Earn 2-0 Road Win over Fraser Valley - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Expose Sporting KC 1-0 - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Suffers 1-0 Loss to Chicago Fire - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Jon Busch Announces Saves for Seals Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC U-18 Residency Advance to USSDA Finals Week - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines Montreal Impact Midfielder Patrice Bernier - MLS
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines Montreal Impact Midfielder Patrice Bernier - Montreal Impact
- Timbers, City of Portland and adidas Announce 2012 Field Grant - Portland Timbers
- Impact Faces D.C. United Saturday at RFK Stadium - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United Announces Changes to Reserve League Schedule - D.C. United
- U.S. Women's National Team and Canada Set to Kickoff June 30 - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes to Donate $1 to Operation Care and Comfort for Every Facebook 'Like' on June 30 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting Kansas City Waives Luke Sassano - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Signs Branko Boskovic to New Contract - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.