Smokies Bats Silenced by Suns in 2-0 LossJune 22, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Tennessee Smokies
In Tennessee's quickest game of the season (one hour, 59 minutes), Jacksonville starter Jose Alvarez (2-4) fired eight scoreless innings, allowing just two hits while fanning five to earn the win. The Smokies sent the minimum 27 batter to the plate as they fell to 1-1 in the second half and 36-36 overall.
For the second straight night, Jacksonville used a first-inning home run to open the scoring when Donnie Webb lifted the second pitch of the inning over the right field wall to give the Suns a 1-0 edge. Chris Gutierrez' solo homer in the fifth inning capped the scoring.
Tennessee starter Dae-Eun Rhee (4-3) suffered the loss, yielding two runs on six hits over seven innings. Rhee walked four batters and struck out a pair.
The Smokies and Suns play the middle contest of their five-game series on Saturday night at 6:05 p.m. when Tennessee sends right-hander Dallas Beeler (2-5, 4.32 ERA) to the mound while Jacksonville counters with righty Bryan Evans (2-4, 2.90 ERA).
Southern League Stories from June 22, 2012
- BayBears' Late Rally Results in a 10-7 Win - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Bounce Back with 4-2 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- M-Braves Silenced by Rienzo, Barons, 3-0 - Mississippi Braves
- BayBears Score 8 Late Runs to Beat Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- Bats Come Alive and Generals Out-Slug Stars 7-4 - Jackson Generals
- Stars Fall To Generals - Huntsville Stars
- Blue Wahoos Hook Lookouts, 4-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Suns Defeat Smokies Behind Dominant Alvarez - Jacksonville Suns
- Smokies Bats Silenced by Suns in 2-0 Loss - Tennessee Smokies
- Anundsen Activated From Disabled List - Huntsville Stars
- Mills Aquired from Cleveland Organization - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Moran Promoted to Tacoma, Tenbrink, Kittredge Return - Jackson Generals
- Stars Open up Second Half with Win - Huntsville Stars
- Diamondbacks' Stephen Drew to Rehab with BayBears - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.