CornBelters defeat RockfordJune 21, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Normal CornBelters
Rockford pushed across two runs early when designated hitter Michael Hur and first baseman Evan Button came home to score on an RBI single by centerfielder Steve Anderson in the 2nd.
Normal cut into the RiverHawk lead in the bottom of the inning as first baseman Jordan Stouffer scored on a two out Rockford error. A slowly hit groundball by third baseman Pat Dockendorf forced a bad throw and allowed Stouffer to come home, making the game 2-1.
The score went unchanged until 'Belter right fielder Steven Felix led off the sixth inning with his fourth homerun of the season, sending a bomb to the berm in right, and tying the score at two runs apiece.
Normal wasn't done there. Right fielder Alvaro Ramirez singled with one out in the seventh to bring up centerfielder and former Illinois State standout Tyler Weisemeyer. Weisemeyer gave the 'Belters their first lead of the game with a double to the corner in left, pushing the score to 3-2 in favor of the hosts.
Rockford looked to have something brewing in the 8th, loading the bases with no one out in the inning. 'Belter relievers Kyle DiMartino and Rich Mascheri came up huge for Normal, retiring three straight RiverHawks and bringing an end to the threat. Mascheri closed out the 9th by striking out the side, earning his fourth save of the season, and netting the 'Belters their second straight victory.
Normal starting pitcher Ryan Krumlauf (1-1) collected his first victory of the season. Krumlauf struck out five, while surrendering four walks, three hits, and two earned runs over seven innings of work.
The series will wrap up at 6:30 on Friday when RHP Daniel Britt (3-2, 3.38 ERA) takes the hill for the 'Belters against RHP Mike Lee (2-0, 2.38 ERA) of Rockford. Pregame can be heard on WJBC.com at 6:20.
Stick around after the game tomorrow for a spectacular firework show on this CEFCU Fantastic Friday!
Frontier League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Otters Explode in 12th Inning for 6-3 Win at Southern Illinois - Evansville Otters
- Miners Lose in Extras - Southern Illinois Miners
- Take That! Lisk Delivers In The 11th - River City Rascals
- Rascals Walk off for Second Straight Game against Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts defeat Beach Bums - Windy City ThunderBolts
- ThunderBolts Claim Game Two - Traverse City Beach Bums
- CornBelters edge RiverHawks, 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Maxwell Leads Slammers to 2-1 Win - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Edged in Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters defeat Rockford - Normal CornBelters
- Matt Fields Has Contract Purchased by Royals - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rippers Respond to Liquor License Issue - London Rippers
- June 21 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Crushers-Rippers Rained Out - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rippers Game Cancelled - London Rippers
- Two More Pitchers Headed to Affiliated Teams - Windy City ThunderBolts
- RiverHawks Announce Field Training Day & Veterans Appreciation Night - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Fall Short in Extras against Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.