Two More Pitchers Headed to Affiliated TeamsJune 21, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Windy City ThunderBolts
Meyerchick became the first "Bolt so far this season to be signed by a big league club when he had his contract purchased on June 16. He pitched in one game for the ThunderBolts, pitching one inning. In that inning he allowed one batter to get on base with a hit on June 14th against the Southern Illinois Miners, while the three others either grounded or flew out.
Meyerchick joined the ThunderBolts after completing his senior 2012 season with the Pumas at St. Joseph's College in Indiana. He has reported to Arizona's Rookie League club.
Drake joined Windy City's roster on June 8 and made his pro debut two days later against the Florence Freedom.
In three starts, he went 1-1 with a 3.77 ERA. His best outing came in his second start on June 15 against Southern Illinois. He allowed one run on four hits over six innings and picked up his first career victory. In 14.1 innings with the ThunderBolts, he struck out 20 hitters.
Drake was signed as a rookie out of the University of Indianapolis, where he was named the Midwest Region Pitcher of the Year and an NCAA Division II All-American.
He is expected to be assigned to Danville, the Braves Rookie affiliate in the Appalacian League.
Meyerchick and Drake are the 31st and 32nd ThunderBolt players to be signed by big league organizations. Since the start of the 2009 season, it has happened 22 times, more than any other Frontier League team.
Meyerchick will join Bobby O'Neill as former members of the ThunderBolts in the Diamondbacks system and Drake becomes the first ThunderBolt signed by the Braves.
Frontier League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Otters Explode in 12th Inning for 6-3 Win at Southern Illinois - Evansville Otters
- Miners Lose in Extras - Southern Illinois Miners
- Take That! Lisk Delivers In The 11th - River City Rascals
- Rascals Walk off for Second Straight Game against Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- ThunderBolts defeat Beach Bums - Windy City ThunderBolts
- ThunderBolts Claim Game Two - Traverse City Beach Bums
- CornBelters edge RiverHawks, 3-2 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Maxwell Leads Slammers to 2-1 Win - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Edged in Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters defeat Rockford - Normal CornBelters
- Matt Fields Has Contract Purchased by Royals - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rippers Respond to Liquor License Issue - London Rippers
- June 21 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Crushers-Rippers Rained Out - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rippers Game Cancelled - London Rippers
- Two More Pitchers Headed to Affiliated Teams - Windy City ThunderBolts
- RiverHawks Announce Field Training Day & Veterans Appreciation Night - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Fall Short in Extras against Otters - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.