Hale Wins Pitchers Duel for M-Braves 1-0June 6, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Mississippi Braves
The game stayed scoreless through seven innings, but in the top of the eighth Phil Gosselin singled to center off of reliever Jesus Sanchez to plate Barrett Kleinknecht from second, giving the Braves the winning run.
Hale picked up his fourth win, pitching 7 2/3 scoreless innings with five hits and one walk in addition to his 11 strikeouts. His previous career strikeout high was eight, achieved on July 30, 2011 for the Lynchburg Hillcats against the Salem Red Sox. He had that number broken by the sixth inning.
Meanwhile the Braves' defense played a big role in preserving the shutout. After Anderson De La Rosa hit a one-out double in the fifth inning for the Stars (33-27), Matt Cline hit a fly ball shallow to the right-centerfield which Keenan Wiley caught then threw a perfect strike to third. Joe Leonard applied the tag on De La Rosa, trying to tag up on the play, for the final out of the inning.
After Cory Rasmus got the final out of the eighth inning, Mark Lamm came on to pitch the ninth, picking up his seventh save of the season but not without some defensive help as well. Hunter Morris singled with two outs in the ninth, and a batter later Tommy Manzella hit a flare to right center. It was Wiley again, this time making a diving catch to put an exclamation point on the victory.
Sanchez took his first loss of the season in relief for Huntsville, a few hours removed from being named to the Southern League North All-Star Team.
The M-Braves now continue their road trip as they head to Kodak, Tennessee for a five-game series with the Tennessee Smokies. Game one begins Thursday night at 6:15 PM CT, with Zeke Spruill (5-5, 3.41) toeing the rubber against Smokies RHP Dae-Eun Rhee (3-2, 4.97). Listen live beginning at 6:00 PM CT with the Vicksburg Toyota "Countdown to First Pitch" on 103.9 WYAB and online at MississippiBraves.com.
Southern League Stories from June 6, 2012
- Comeback Falls Short in Series Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Struggle in Clutch in 3-2 Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Patient Smokies Hold off Biscuits to Win Series - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Fall in Pitchers Duel to M-Braves - Huntsville Stars
- Hale Wins Pitchers Duel for M-Braves 1-0 - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Lead North Division with Seven All-Stars Named - Jackson Generals
- Five Lookouts Selected to Represent North Division in the Southern League All-Star Game - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Generals Top Lookouts, 7-4 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Maurer Plus Sams' Grand Salami Give Generals Win - Jackson Generals
- Four Barons Named to 2012 Southern League All-Star Team - Birmingham Barons
- Five Stars Selected to Southern League All-Star Team - Huntsville Stars
- D-Backs Award Elmore and Gorgen with Monthly Honors - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Land Four on Southern League All-Star Team - Tennessee Smokies
- Coaching Staffs, Umpires Announced for 2012 All-Star Game - Mobile BayBears
- Generals Game Information (Wednesday, June 6) - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.