Reynolds, Express Squeak by Memphis 3-0June 1, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Round Rock Express
The Express started off the second by loading the bases. Ryan Spilborghs led off with a walk, followed by a Brad Nelson single and then another walk to Joey Butler. After a Michael Bianucci fly out, Elio Sarmiento drew a bases loaded walk to plate Spilborghs. Dusty Brown smacked a sacrifice fly to deep center field to score Nelson to make it 2-0 before Matt Kata struck out to end the frame.
Greg Reynolds (4-4) threw seven shutout innings to pick up the win. He allowed six hits and walked four and struck out four. Tanner Scheppers picked up his ninth save with one and two-thirds scoreless innings. Scheppers escaped a based loaded jam in the eighth created by John Gaub who recorded only one out and allowed a walk and a hit. The Express closer then squeaked out of his own jam in the ninth, inducing a double-play with runners at the corners and one out.
Nick Additon (1-6) pitched well but earned the loss for the Redbirds. He lasted seven innings and allowed two runs on one hit and five walks and struck out four.
Joey Butler added an insurance run in the ninth with his 11th home run to extend the lead to 3-0. Butler also walked. Nelson extended his hitting streak to eight games and now has a PCL-leading 21-game road hitting streak. The only other E-Train hit came off the bat of Matt Kata in the eighth inning to extend his hitting streak to eight games.
Although the Redbirds out-hit the Express 9-3, six of those came from two Memphis hitters as Lou Montanez and Cedric Hunter recorded three hits apiece. The Redbirds left 12 runners on base and were shutout for the fourth time this season.
Round Rock begins a four-game series Saturday at The Dell Diamond against Albuquerque. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. CDT. Right-hander Roy Oswalt (0-0, 0.00 ERA) is scheduled to make his first start of the season for the Express opposite Isotopes right-hander and former Express farmhand Fernando Nieve (2-2, 9.53 ERA).
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 1, 2012
- Las Vegas wins 11-1 - Tucson Padres
- Cubs' Comeback Spoiled by Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Storm Chasers Tame the I-Cubs on Friday, Win 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Sweep Sounds, 5-3 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Express Blank 'Birds, Split Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Reynolds, Express Squeak by Memphis 3-0 - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Triple-Play Not Enough in 2-0 Loss to Zephyrs - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sounds Lose 5-3, Swept by Oklahoma City - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Name 1B Anthony Rizzo, RHP P.J. Francescon Minor League Player, Pitcher of the Month for May - Iowa Cubs
- Royals Activate INF Yuniesky Betancourt - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes: June 1, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Follow RedHawks Broadcaster Alex Freedman on Twitter - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sounds Announce 2012 Trevecca Nazarene University Faith Nights - Nashville Sounds
- Las Vegas Turns Triple Play in Win over Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Round Rock Sinks Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Slam Memphis 9-3 - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.