Wild Game Goes to AshevilleMay 28, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Charleston RiverDogs
The Tourists scored first on an RBI single by Brian Humphries scoring Taylor Featherston (3-5, three runs, two RBI's) to make it 1-0. After a walk to Trevor Story, and then Sam Mende hit by a pitch to start the 2ndinning, there was a 39 minute rain delay. Asheville came out on fire after the delay with another hit by pitch, followed by three straight singles. Five runs scored in the inning to put the score at 6-0 Asheville.
Gary Sanchez (1-4, two runs, three RBI) hit his fourth homer of the year in the third inning, a three run shot, to cut the lead in half. Asheville added two runs in the third inning, and one more in the fourth, to take a 9-3 lead to the sixth inning. That is where the game really got interesting.
Charleston scored eight runs in the top of the sixth on six hits, a walk, a hit by pitch, and four costly Tourist errors. The score was 11-9 RiverDogs going to the home half of the sixth, but Asheville could not be held down. They bounced right back with six runs on four hits, three walks, and an error. Kelvin de Leon homered in the eighth, his fourth of the year, to make the score 15-12, but Charleston would get no closer.
Offensively, the RiverDogs were paced by Dante Bichette, Jr. who was 4-5 with a double, two runs scored, and an RBI. Ben Gamel was 3-5, and both Cito Culver and Tyler Austin chipped in with two hits apiece. For Asheville, Featherston and Jared Simon each led the team with three hits.
Scottie Allen started for Charleston and finished four innings allowing seven hits, eight runs, one walk, and three strikeouts. Mariel Checo (5-1) got tagged with his first loss of the season giving up four runs on only one hit and four walks in an inning. Nelson Gonzalez picked up the win for the Tourists after allowing five unearned runs on three hits in one inning to move his record to 3-1.
Game two of the big three game series is Tuesday with righty Will Oliver (1-2, 3.94 ERA) on the mound for the RiverDogs, and righty Chris Jensen (5-1, 4.50 ERA) throwing for Asheville. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 28, 2012
- Wild Game Goes to Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- T's Win Entertaining Opener Versus RiverDogs 15-12 - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Get Past Augusta in 10, 4-3 - Lexington Legends
- Biagini Masterpiece Wasted In Extras Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall 7-6 in Homestand Finale Sunday Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 8-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Cruise to 8-3 Win in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Storm Past BlueClaws in Fourth - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Twice Comes from Behind to Beat Braves - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Continue Win Streak, Repel Sand Gnats - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jakob Dalfonso Released - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Open Seven-Game Homestand Monday - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.