Legends Get Past Augusta in 10, 4-3May 28, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lexington Legends
Augusta put a run on the board in the first inning. Jesus Galindo led off with a single, stole second, went to third on an infield out and scored on Mark Minicozzi's sacrifice fly to center field.
The GreenJackets added another run in the sixth. Kelby Tomlinson led off the inning with a double. After a pair of strikeouts, he moved to third on a wild pitch by Lexington starter Luis Ordosgoitti, and scored when Brett Krill singled to center.
The Legends drew even in the eighth. Mike Kvasnicka led off with a single and went to third on a double by Chris Epps, who extended his hitting streak to 12 games. Justin Gominsky's groundout plated Kvasnicka and moved Epps to third. With the infield drawn in, Jimmy Howick grounded to second, and Epps beat the throw home to score the tying run.
Augusta took a 3-2 lead in the top of the ninth. With one out, Joe Staley doubled. Carlos Willoughby ran for Staley, and he scored when Garrett Buechele doubled to center.
Lexington tied the game in the bottom of the ninth on Matt Duffy's eighth home run of the season.
The Legends walked off with the win in the 10th. Epps led off with a single and moved to second on Gominsky's bunt single. Howick followed with a sacrifice bunt that moved Epps to third and Gominsky to second. After Delino DeShields Jr. was intentionally walked to load the bases, Jordan Scott singled to center to bring home Epps with the winning run.
Both starting pitchers had strong outings. Augusta's Joe Biagini tossed seven shutout innings, only allowing two hits. Ordosgoitti also pitched seven innings, allowing two runs while striking out six batters.
Carlos Quevedo (4-1) relieved Ordosgoitti and picked up the win after pitching the final three innings. Demondre Arnold (4-1), who came into the game in the ninth, was handed the loss.
The Legends and GreenJackets will play game two of a three-game series Tuesday night at Whitaker Bank Ballpark. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 28, 2012
- Wild Game Goes to Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- T's Win Entertaining Opener Versus RiverDogs 15-12 - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Get Past Augusta in 10, 4-3 - Lexington Legends
- Biagini Masterpiece Wasted In Extras Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall 7-6 in Homestand Finale Sunday Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 8-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Cruise to 8-3 Win in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Storm Past BlueClaws in Fourth - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Twice Comes from Behind to Beat Braves - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Continue Win Streak, Repel Sand Gnats - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jakob Dalfonso Released - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Open Seven-Game Homestand Monday - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.