Claws Fall 7-6 in Homestand Finale Sunday NightMay 28, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lakewood BlueClaws
With the loss the BlueClaws have now lost six of their last seven games and are 19-31 on the season and 7-17 away from FirstEnergy Park.
The BlueClaws trailed 4-2 entering the 7th inning before Aaron Altherr connected for his 3rd homerun of the season to bring the 'Claws back within a run at 4-3.
Kyrell Hudson began the 8th inning with a double. He then stole third base with one out for his 20th stolen base of the season. He was stranded at third base as the tying run when Bob Stumpo struck out and Gauntlett Eldemire was retired to end the inning.
Arias entered the game to begin the 4th inning and ran into trouble after recording the first out on a spectacular diving catch in shallow center field by Stephen Malcolm. The next four batters would single and a sacrifice fly by catcher Francisco Diaz turned what was a 2-0 BlueClaws lead into a 3-2 deficit. Arias would allow three consecutive singles to West Virginia in the 5th inning before being removed from the ballgame with one out.
Arias would drop his record on the season to 1-3 after allowing four runs on a season-high seven hits in 1.1 innings. His previous season-high for hits allowed came on Opening Day, April 5th at Greensville when he allowed five hits.
The BlueClaws and Power battle in the second game of their three-game series Tuesday evening. The BlueClaws will send Ervis Manzanillo (0-3, 6.00) to the mound against Robby Rowland (2-1, 3.60) in Game 2 of a seven-game road trip. Manzanillo has not pitched for the BlueClaws since May 11th when he tossed four innings at Greensboro and allowed five runs.
First pitch for Tuesday's game is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Listen to all the action on WOBM 1160-AM and WOBM 1310-AM beginning at 6:50 p.m.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 28, 2012
- Wild Game Goes to Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- T's Win Entertaining Opener Versus RiverDogs 15-12 - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Get Past Augusta in 10, 4-3 - Lexington Legends
- Biagini Masterpiece Wasted In Extras Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall 7-6 in Homestand Finale Sunday Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 8-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Cruise to 8-3 Win in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Storm Past BlueClaws in Fourth - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Twice Comes from Behind to Beat Braves - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Continue Win Streak, Repel Sand Gnats - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jakob Dalfonso Released - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Open Seven-Game Homestand Monday - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.