Shorebirds Game Notes vs. HickoryMay 28, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Delmarva Shorebirds
May 28, 2012 | Arthur W. Perdue Stadium | Salisbury, MD | 5:05 PM
PREVIEW: The Shorebirds have lost five of their last six games and eight of their last 11 heading into game one of the series against Hickory. The Shorebirds fell 5-2 in the series finale last night and managed just three hits. Tonight is the first of 16 meetings with the Hickory Crawdads this season. The Shorebirds are 14.5 games out of first place with 21 left in the first half. The Shorebirds are 8-17 in May.
19 IN 20 DAYS: Tonight will mark the Shorebirds 19th game in the last 20 days. The only day without a game during the stretch was on May 21 when the game in Lakewood was washed out.
FOURTH IN THE LEAGUE: Brenden Webb ranks fourth in the South Atlantic League with 34 walks. He drew three more yesterday. Matt Skole of Hagerstown leads the SAL with 47 walks. Webb also ranks fourth in the league in strikeouts with 55.
HELD THE 'HOPPERS: Shorebirds pitching held the top offensive team in the SAL to 16 total runs in the most recent five game series. The Grasshoppers hit just .194 in the series.
3 STRAIGHT WITHOUT: The Shorebirds have gone the straight games without an extra-base hit. Their last extra base hit was a home run by Justin Dalles on May 24. He was promoted to Frederick the next day.
MAJOR LOSSES: The Shorebirds have lost three major players to promotion. Justin Dalles (.329, 4 HR, 29 RBI), John Ruettiger (.305, 13 RBI) and Dylan Bundy (0-0, 0.00) have all been promoted.
OFFENSE?: The Shorebirds offense has sputtered of late to the tune of 13 runs in the last eight games (1.62 per). During the five game Greensboro series, the Shorebirds scored seven runs on 18 hits (3.6 per game).
South Atlantic League Stories from May 28, 2012
- Wild Game Goes to Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- T's Win Entertaining Opener Versus RiverDogs 15-12 - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Get Past Augusta in 10, 4-3 - Lexington Legends
- Biagini Masterpiece Wasted In Extras Loss - Augusta GreenJackets
- Claws Fall 7-6 in Homestand Finale Sunday Night - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 8-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Cruise to 8-3 Win in Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Storm Past BlueClaws in Fourth - West Virginia Power
- Kannapolis Twice Comes from Behind to Beat Braves - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Continue Win Streak, Repel Sand Gnats - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Jakob Dalfonso Released - Rome Braves
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Open Seven-Game Homestand Monday - Lexington Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.