Aces Sweep 'Birds with Record-Tying Eighth-Straight WinMay 11, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Reno Aces
The Aces now have matched a franchise record with eight-consecutive wins, they've swept back-to-back series for the first time in club history and they keep their perch atop the Pacific North Division standings.
Reno jumped ahead early with a 3-0 lead, thanks in part to a two-run home run off the bat of Josh Bell. The Redbirds clawed back, though, and with a four-run fifth inning took a 6-4 lead. That Memphis advantage would hold up until the seventh. In that frame, Reno converted three-consecutive singles into three runs and a lead it would not relinquish.
After starter Barry Enright exited with six earned runs on his ledger, four Aces relievers combined to hold the Redbirds scoreless over the game's final four frames. Mike DeMark (2-2) earned the win after working a scoreless sixth, and Jonathan Albaladejo slammed the door in the ninth for his sixth save.
The loss fell to Memphis reliever Barret Browning (2-2), who surrendered all three runs in the seventh without recording an out.
At the plate for Reno, Adam Eaton stretched his hitting streak to13 games with a three-hit effort. Bell continued his torrid stretch at the dish with two hits and three RBIs, while Jake Elmore notched his sixth three-hit game of the season.
The Aces look to make it nine in-a-row on Saturday night in the first of a four-game set against the Nashville Sounds at Herschel Greer Stadium. In the series opener, RHP Joe Martinez (0-2, 5.59 ERA) gets the nod for Reno, while Memphis will counter with RHP Brian Baker (1-2, 6.65 ERA). First pitch is set for 4:35 p.m. PT, and the action can be heard live on Fox Sports 630 AM or by visiting RenoAces.com.
Reno returns to Aces Ballpark on May 17 to kick-off an eight-game homestand. Tickets are on-sale now at RenoAces.com, by calling (775) 334-7000 or by visiting the Aces Ballpark Ticket Office.
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 11, 2012
- Redbirds Get Swept up by Aces - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Stymied by Salt Lake 9-6 - Round Rock Express
- Zephyrs Lose Late Lead 6-4 to Split with Padres - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Sounds Split Series with Sky Sox with 6-2 Loss on Friday - Nashville Sounds
- Aces Sweep 'Birds with Record-Tying Eighth-Straight Win - Reno Aces
- Tonight's Game Canceled - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Baptist Memorial Health Care Partners with the Memphis Redbirds to Celebrate Their Centennial at Aut - Memphis Redbirds
- Players' Wives' Food Drive Set for Saturday at Raley Field - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Salt Lake Bees - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- RedHawks, Devon Energy Present Hometown Heroes Celebration Night Tomorrow - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Wells, Cubs Roll Past Grizzlies - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Edge Rainiers, 3-2 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ely Excellent in Delivering 'Topes a 3-2 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento Knocks off Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Capitalize on Storm Chaser Errors, Win 9-4 - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.