Great Lakes Blashed in 8-4 LossApril 26, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Great Lakes Loons
The Loons grabbed a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the third inning when both Joe Winker and Jesse Bosnik recorded RBI-singles. Loons starting pitcher Jarret Martin held the LumberKings to one run, a solo homer from Blash, through the first four innings, but ran into trouble when he faced Blash for the third time. With the bases loaded and two outs, Blash lifted Martin's 1-0 pitch over the right-field wall to put his team up 6-3.
"It's a huge turn of events," Bosnik, who had a game-high three hits, said of the way a grand slam affects a game. "If the guy gets out, it's a whole different game. No four-run swing. But offensively you just have to keep battling and hope for a big inning, maybe string a couple of hits together here and there."
The Loons found no such luck, and instead Clinton tacked on one more run in the fifth and added their eighth in the sixth. Martin (1-1) was charged with the loss, finishing with a final line of 11 hits, 7 runs, 0 walks, and 3 strikeouts in 5 innings of work. Reliever Ryan O'Sullivan limited Clinton to one run across three innings, while Matt Shelton struck out the side in the ninth. Clinton starter Ambioris Hidalgo picked up the win, his first.
Off the field, it was Social Media Night (#LoonsSMN) at Dow Diamond. The month-long campaign, a collaboration between the Loons and CMU's PES 190 Class, generated over 1,300 new followers for the Loons social sites (an 11.4% increase) and saw high-traffic interaction throughout the game. Using the Loons Facebook and Twitter pages, fans voted which Loons jerseys the team got to wear, sent requests for music to be played at the game, and much more. Rebecca Koepke was named the winner of the Loons iPad giveaway.
"wow!! Oh my gosh thank you!" she replied after the announcement via Twitter at 7:16 p.m. using her handle @beckykoepke.
The Loons play the rubber match of their three-game series against the Clinton LumberKings on Friday at 6:05 p.m. Starting for the Loons will be RHP Brandon Martinez (1-3, 6.38) against Clinton's RHP Stephen Landazuri (2-0-1, 2.05). In addition to the Loons game, Dow Diamond will be hosting its first Home Room Challenge, where eight schools of the Great Lakes Bay Region will compete for a $1,000 cash prize, culminating with a Home Run Derby after the game featuring a teacher from each of the participating schools. Tickets are also still available for the Loons special Wine Tasting event in Lasorda's Landing during the game.
Midwest League Stories from April 26, 2012
- Bees Lose Game Two to TinCaps, 6-2 - Burlington Bees
- McInnis Throws Six Shutout Innings in 5-1 Bandits Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Tie in 9th, Win in 10th at Wisconsin - Dayton Dragons
- Great Lakes Blashed in 8-4 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons claw past Rattlers in ten - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- South Bend slams Kernels 10-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts continue pitching mastery, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hawks Pound out Season-High 17 Hits for Fifth Straight Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Snappers Win Three in a Row - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Defeat Chiefs 7-6 in 11 Innings - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Four-Run First Enough against Hot Rods - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Lose 7-6 in 11 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Blanked by Lugnuts - Kane County Cougars
- Final Weekend of High School Games at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Move - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for April 26 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.