South Bend slams Kernels 10-1April 26, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
South Bend took a 2-0 lead in the 2nd inning. Marc Bourgeois walked to lead off the inning and came home on a two out RBI single by Josh Parr. Parr then stole second. Ender Inciarte followed with a single and Parr scored on a throwing error by Kernels left fielder Trevor Hairgrove.
The Silver Hawks extended their lead to 4-0 in the 3rd inning. Tom Belza and Gerson Montilla drew back to back walks to lead off the inning. Matt Helm's RBI single plated Belza, and Montilla scored on a RBI single by Marc Bourgeois.
Austin Wood (2-2) started for the Kernels and took the loss in 3.2 innings. He allowed four runs (three earned) on six hits. He struck out six and walked four. South Bend pushed their lead to 8-0 with four runs in the 5th inning. Bobby Stone cracked a 3-run home run to straight away right field. Later in the inning, Belza's RBI double plated Ender Inciarte.
Jacob Negrete pitched 1.1 innings for the Kernels in relief, allowing four runs on five hits. Carmine Giardina pitched two scoreless innings, allowing two hits and striking out three and walking one. The Kernels scored their lone run in the sixth inning, cutting the Silver Hawks lead to 8-1. Ryan Jones reached second base on a throwing error by South Bend's second baseman Gerson Montilla. He came home on a RBI single to center by Frazier Hall.
The Silver Hawks extended their lead to 10-1 with a 2-RBI double by Roidany Aguila that scored Montilla and Matt Helm. Logan Odom pitched one inning for the Kernels and allowed two runs on four hits. He struck out one and walked one.
J.R. Bradley (2-2) picked up the win for South Bend, going five scoreless innings. He allowed two hits while striking out two and walking two. Seth Simmons allowed one unearned run in two innings of relief. D.J. Johnson pitched two scoreless innings, allowing one hit while striking out three.
The Kernels continue the series with South Bend on Friday evening at 6:35 p.m. It's another Friday Mug Club, sponsored by Sip N Stir and media sponsor 98.1 KHAK.. Buy a 16 oz. mug of domestic draft beer for $5 and get $2.50 refills at the concession stands. Also, the first 1,000 fans receive a pair of Kernels winter gloves!
Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com. Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels box office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from April 26, 2012
- Bees Lose Game Two to TinCaps, 6-2 - Burlington Bees
- McInnis Throws Six Shutout Innings in 5-1 Bandits Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Tie in 9th, Win in 10th at Wisconsin - Dayton Dragons
- Great Lakes Blashed in 8-4 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons claw past Rattlers in ten - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- South Bend slams Kernels 10-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Lugnuts continue pitching mastery, 6-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hawks Pound out Season-High 17 Hits for Fifth Straight Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Snappers Win Three in a Row - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Defeat Chiefs 7-6 in 11 Innings - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Four-Run First Enough against Hot Rods - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Chiefs Lose 7-6 in 11 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Cougars Blanked by Lugnuts - Kane County Cougars
- Final Weekend of High School Games at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Move - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for April 26 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.