Mudcats Hold off HillcatsApril 23, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Carolina Mudcats
Mike Rayl (2-2) picked up the win for the Mudcats by tossing five innings. The left-hander allowed one run, a solo shot by Ryan Query in the third, on four hits, walked three and struck out five.
Jose Flores struck out three in the ninth to earn his third save.
Cody Martin (2-2) was hit hard by Mudcats' hitters for four-and-a-third innings. He allowed five runs on seven hits. Martin issued six walks, but also fanned six batters.
Jeremie Tice gave the Mudcats an early 2-0 lead on a blast over the right field wall that scored Jesus Aguilar before Query's homer in the third cut it to one.
Carolina scored three off Martin in their half of the third. Giovanny Urshela brought home a run with a bases loaded fly to left field. With two outs, Jake Lowery singled in two more for a 5-1 advantage.
Lynchburg took advantage of some inconsistency by the Mudcats' bullpen in the late innings to pull close. The relievers gave up six hits and six walks over the final four frames.
A single by Chris Garcia against J.D. Reichenbach in the sixth cut the lead to 5-2. It was the first run the left-handed reliever has allowed in seven appearances.
In the seventh, the Hillcats used a pair of singles and three walks to pull within 5-4 before Dale Dickerson and Flores slammed the door.
Carolina continues the four-game series with the Lynchburg Hillcats on Tuesday night at 7:15 p.m. Right-hander Michael Goodnight (1-0, 6.14) will start against the Hillcats' righty Gus Schlosser (1-0, 4.74). Tickets are available through the box office by calling (919) 269-2287 or visiting carolinamudcats.com.
Carolina League Stories from April 23, 2012
- Mudcats Hold off Hillcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats Fall in First Meeting with Mudcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Wilmington Rocks Daisuke, Downs Red Sox 7-2 - Salem Red Sox
- Buckel Nearly Unhittable in 7-1 Romp - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Arms Stifle Potomac - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wilmington Rocks Matsuzaka in 7-2 Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dash Silence Potomac Bats in 4-1 Win - Potomac Nationals
- Buckel, Pelicans Shut Down Keys - Frederick Keys
- Mudcats Announce Roster Changes - Carolina Mudcats
- Ronnie Welty Named Player of the Week - Frederick Keys
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Mudcats Game Notes - April 23 - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats' Autism Awareness Night to Piece Together Support - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.