Sea Dogs Snap Losing Streak with 5-3 Win Over New BritainApril 23, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) - Portland Sea Dogs Press Release
Portland jumped on the board in the fourth and scored its five runs over the next three innings. Oscar Tejeda put the Sea Dogs out in front with an RBI single in the fourth that plated Ryan Dent, and put Portland up 1-0 against New Britain righty Steve Hirschfeld. Following a run by New Britain in the home half of the fourth, Jeremy Hazelbaker drove home two with a double in the fifth that plated Ronald Bermudez and Dan Butler and extended the 'Dogs lead to 3-1.
It was Bermudez that drove home, what turned out to be, the game winning run with an RBI double in the sixth that scored Reynaldo Rodriguez. Bryce Brentz notched an insurance run for Portland when he scored on Heiker Meneses' RBI ground out to the right side. Hirschfeld (2-1) was tagged for all five runs in his five and two-thirds innings.
Chris Hernandez welcomed the run support and delivered his third solid start in as many outings. Hernandez (1-1) retired the first five hitters and held the Rock Cats scoreless through the first three frames. In the fourth the lefty allowed an unearned run on a sacrifice fly to right off the bat of Deibinson Romero.
Hernandez pitched into the sixth, but handed it over to the Portland bullpen with two on and one out in the inning. Nathan Hanson tagged a double off of Aaron Kurcz that plated the two runners and pulled New Britain within two. Caleb Clay earned his first save of the season with two scoreless innings of relief to close out the game on the mound.
Prime Motor Group Player of the Game: Chris Hernandez 5.1IP, 6H, 3R, 1ER, 1BB, 1K (Second Time)
The Sea Dogs continue their seven game road trip with the second game of a three game series against the New Britain Rock Cats, Tuesday evening at 6:35 PM at New Britain Stadium. Portland will send right-handed pitcher Billy Buckner (0-2, 6.00) to the mound. New Britain will counter with lefty Logan Darnell (2-0, 2.81). The Sea Dogs can be heard on the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs radio network with 95.5/95.9 FM WPEI serving as the flagship station.
The Sea Dogs will return home to Hadlock and host the Reading Phillies on Friday, April 27th at 6:00 PM. Tickets are available for all Sea Dogs' home games. Tickets can be ordered by calling the Sea Dogs Ticket Office at 207-879-9500 or online at www.seadogs.com.
Eastern League Stories from April 23, 2012
- Aeros Fall in Bowie - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Snap Losing Streak with 5-3 Win Over New Britain - Portland Sea Dogs
- Pettit Pitches Past Aeros - Bowie Baysox
- Rock Cats Fall Short Against Sea Dogs - New Britain Rock Cats
- Fisher Cats Supporting Chief Maloney MemorialRun/Walk - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rock Cats place pitcher Alex Wimmers on disabled list - New Britain Rock Cats
- RHP Ross Wolf Released - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Andy Pettitte in Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Baysox Celebrate Mardi Gras in May - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Josh Rodriguez Named Eastern League Player of the Week - Binghamton Mets
- Aeros' Landis Promoted - Akron RubberDucks
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
- Trenton Thunder Home Games Now Streamed Live Online - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.