Carter's Three-Homer Day Lifts Cats to 12-4 Win over RenoApril 22, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) - Sacramento River Cats Press Release
Sunday marked the third time in Carter's career that he has homered three times in a game. He last achieved the feat on Aug. 31, 2009, against Reno, also at Aces Ballpark. His first professional three-homer game came with Single-A Advanced Stockton on April 19, 2008, against Rancho Cucamonga.
Not to be outdone, Brandon Moss connected for two long balls Sunday, the first of which came in the fifth inning following Carter's second blast of the day, accounting for the River Cats first back-to-back homers of the 2012 season.
The 12-run outburst was more than enough for Cats starter Bruce Billings (1-0), who earned the victory after allowing three runs - one earned - in five innings of work.
The loss fell to Aces starter Charles Brewer (0-1) in his first-career Triple-A outing. Brewer surrendered five earned runs in five innings, including three of the River Cats' five home runs.
In addition to the big games from Carter and Moss, Jermaine Mitchell and Michael Taylor added three hits apiece for the Cats. Taylor's three-for-five afternoon raised his team-leading batting average to .389.
The River Cats look for their fourth-straight win Monday evening at Aces Ballpark. Sacramento RHP Brad Peacock (1-1, 1.42 ERA) is set to start against Reno LHP Zach Kroenke (1-1, 4.50 ERA). First pitch is slated for 6:35 p.m.
The River Cats return home on Thursday, April 26, for a 7:05 p.m. Miller Lite Thirsty Thursday, which is also Agricultural Night. Thursday's game will be against the Tucson Padres, and will open an eight-game homestand at Raley Field.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 22, 2012
- Bees Whip Pads, 16-1 - Tucson Padres
- Isotopes Take Sunday Marathon, 11-10 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Isotopes Outlast 'Hawks 11-10 in 14 Innings for Sixth Straight Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Fall To Fresno, 10-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Carter's Three-Homer Day Lifts Cats to 12-4 Win over Reno - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Top Aces, 12-4 - Reno Aces
- Round Rock's Hitting Overpowers Zephyrs 10-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Storm Chasers Squeeze Past the Sounds on Sunday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Powers Past New Orleans 10-0 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' Losing Skid Hits Seven with 2-1 Loss in Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Stellar Rusin Lifts Iowa to Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs Recall Pitcher Randy Wells from Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Tucson win over Salt Lake - Tucson Padres
- Rainiers' Series Opener Foiled By Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Walk to London' Arrives in Tacoma - Tacoma Rainiers
- Storm Chasers Defeat the Sounds, 6-5, in 13 Innings - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bullpen Struggles in Loss to Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Lose Extra-Inning Contest in Omaha, 6-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Parker, Bullpen Combine for Two-Hitter; River Cats Beat Aces, 6-0 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Blanked by River Cats, 6-0 - Reno Aces
- 'Topes Win Fifth Straight with 6-1 Victory Over RedHawks - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Take Series Opener, 6-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.