Senators Ride Big First Inning to 6-2 Win over TrentonApril 19, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Harrisburg Senators
For the third straight game the Senators received outstanding starting pitching. Mike Ballard started and picked up the win Thursday night, going 6.2 innings, striking out eight, walking two and allowing just an unearned run. At one point, Ballard struck out six straight batters. Christian Garcia and Pat Lehman pitched the final 2.1 innings with Lehman allowing a ninth inning home run to Luke Murton.
The Senators started fast, scoring four runs in the first inning. With one out, Jeff Kobernus singled, then scored on a double by Jesus Valdez. With two outs, Destin Hood singled in Valdez which was followed by a two-run home run to straight-away center field by Chris Rahl, giving the Sens a 4-0 lead. It was the second straight game in which Rahl homered.
Leading 4-1 into the ninth inning, Harrisburg plated two more when Valdez singled in Kobernus giving the Sens a 5-1 lead. Tim Pahuta followed with a double to left to drive in Valdez for the Sens final tally.
Kobernus, Valdez, and Hood all had three hits in the game and Stephen King chipped in with two hits for the second straight game. The Sens also stole a season-high four bases including two more by Jeff Kobernus.
Ballard, Garcia and Lehman combined to strikeout a season high 12 batters for Harrisburg. The Sens pitching staff has allowed just one earned run in the past three games.
Game two of the four-game series is Friday night at 7:00 p.m. with RH Rob Gilliam on the hill for the Senators against RH Craig Heyer. The game can be heard on 1460am The Ticket, on the Internet through the Senators website and iHeart radio and on your iPod or iPad beginning at 6:45 p.m.
Eastern League Stories from April 19, 2012
- Baysox Drop 'Wolves in Series Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Big First Inning Leads Senators Past Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Clark Leads Sox Past SeaWolves - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Win Wild Affair in New Britain 6-5 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Gorski Rocks & Offense Rolls in 6-0 Win - Binghamton Mets
- Senators Ride Big First Inning to 6-2 Win over Trenton - Harrisburg Senators
- Rock Cats Battle Back, Lose In 9th - New Britain Rock Cats
- B-Mets Sting Sea Dogs in 6-0 Shutout - Portland Sea Dogs
- Cumpton Victorious Second Time Around as Curve Win, 4-3 - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels Miss Chances, Fall Short in Opener, 4-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Add of Medchill; Place Brewer on DL - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Dunkin' Donuts Launches "Dunkin' Dugout" Program with Sea Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Announce Roster Moves; Huff Joins Club on Rehab Assignment - Akron Aeros
- Wynn Pelzer Released, Greg Burke Joins Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.