B-Mets Bundle Offense Early in 5-1 WinApril 12, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) - Binghamton Mets Press Release
Binghamton struck first against Portland starter Brock Huntzinger. After two quick outs to start the game, Huntzinger handed out two walks and allowed a single to Allan Dykstra. Third baseman Jefry Marte made the righty pay by lining a two-run single to left field.
The two-run lead did not last for long. Juan Carlos Linares launched the first pitch he saw from B-Mets starter Collin McHugh over the center field fence to leadoff the first inning for Portland. The Sea Dogs loaded the bases on three singles, but failed to bring any home in the first inning.
The B-Mets struck back in the third. After a pair of singles and a walk, Jefry Marte bounced into a fielder's choice to plate Binghamton's third run. Josh Rodriguez quickly followed by crushing a two-run double that one-hopped the center field fence, giving the B-Mets a 5-1 lead.
McHugh settled in after his rocky first inning. The right-hander from Georgia did not face more than four batters in any of his remaining six innings. At one point he retired ten straight Sea Dogs.
He nearly completed seven innings, but a throwing error shortstop Sean Kazmar extended the frame. A hard-hit single by Linares' chased McHugh from the game and forced B-Mets manager Pedro Lopez to make the call to the bullpen. Elvin Ramirez entered and struck out Derrik Gibson to end the threat.
Ramirez followed up his effort by striking out the side in order in the eighth. Josh Edgin worked around two singles to post a scoreless ninth and secure Binghamton's third win of the year.
McHugh (1-1) earned his first win of the season. He allowed one run on seven hits over 6.2 innings. He did not issue any walks and racked up six strike outs. Brock Huntzinger (0-2) suffered the loss, allowing five runs over four innings. Jeremy Kehrt supplied four scoreless innings of relief and Josh Fields tossed a scoreless ninth for Portland.
The B-Mets (3-3) continue their four-game series against the Sea Dogs tomorrow night with first pitch set for 6:00 PM. RHP Zack Wheeler takes the mound for Binghamton against LHP Chris Hernandez for Portland. The Horizons Federal Credit Union pre-game show begins at 6:20 PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF.
Eastern League Stories from April 12, 2012
- Akron Tops Trenton 6-1 to Start Trip - Trenton Thunder
- SeaWolves Drop Home Opener to Bowie 6-1 - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Win Home Opener, 6-1 Over Trenton Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Pick up Second Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Senators Fall in their Home Opener to Reading 4-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Drop First Road Game of 2012, 7-3 - Altoona Curve
- Stevenson and Squirrels Too Much for Curve on Opening Night, 7-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Welcome Big Crowd But Drop First 2012 Game in NH - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Mets Spoil Sea Dogs Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Bundle Offense Early in 5-1 Win - Binghamton Mets
- SeaWolves Announce PDC Extension with Detroit Tigers - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Add INF Mahoney and P Rondon; Place Three on DL - Trenton Thunder
- R-Phils Firstenergy Stadium to Host Touch-A-Truck 2012 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Try out Basketball - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves Vs. Bowie Baysox - - Game One of Four - - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.