Aeros Win Home Opener, 6-1 Over Trenton Thunder
AKRON, OH- The Akron Aeros (4-2) opened their 2012 home debut with a bang over the Trenton Thunder (3-4), courtesy of a second-inning three-run blast by Kyle Bellows at Canal Park in front of 6,847 fans.
Following back-to-back singles by Nick Weglarz and Ryan Rohlinger, the Aeros jumped out to a 3-0 second inning-lead thanks to a three-run blast to left off the bat of Kyle Bellows. Tim Fedroff reached base on a booted ball by second baseman Kevin Mahoney and reached second on a wild pitch by Brett Marshall. Juan Diaz singled past second, plating Fedroff to give the Aeros a 4-0 advantage. In the bottom of the fourth, Bellows reached base on a one out single to left. After swiping second base, Roberto Perez singled to center, advancing Bellows to third. Fedroff hits into a force out to center, forcing Perez out at second, allowing Bellows to score, giving the Aeros a 5-0 lead.
Aeros starter T.J. McFarland earned his second victory of the season, going six scoreless innings, allowing just three hits, one walk and fanning four. Reliever Bryce Stowell pitched a scoreless seventh inning, striking out two of the three batters he faced. Matt Langwell entered the game in the eighth, yielding two hits and a run. Preston Guilmet ended the game, allowing a hit, a walk and striking out two.
The Aeros will host the Trenton Thunder at Canal Park at 7:05 p.m. Right-handed pitcher Steven Wright (1-0, 1.80 ERA) will face fellow right-hander Cory Arisbo (0-0, 2.25 ERA) of Trenton. Tomorrow night is Led Zeppelin fireworks presented by Wing Warehouse. The game broadcast begins at 6:50 on Fox Sports 1350 AM and online at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 12, 2012
- Akron Tops Trenton 6-1 to Start Trip - Trenton Thunder
- SeaWolves Drop Home Opener to Bowie 6-1 - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Win Home Opener, 6-1 Over Trenton Thunder - Akron RubberDucks
- Baysox Pick up Second Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Senators Fall in their Home Opener to Reading 4-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Curve Drop First Road Game of 2012, 7-3 - Altoona Curve
- Stevenson and Squirrels Too Much for Curve on Opening Night, 7-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Welcome Big Crowd But Drop First 2012 Game in NH - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Mets Spoil Sea Dogs Opener - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Bundle Offense Early in 5-1 Win - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- SeaWolves Announce PDC Extension with Detroit Tigers - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Add INF Mahoney and P Rondon; Place Three on DL - Trenton Thunder
- R-Phils Firstenergy Stadium to Host Touch-A-Truck 2012 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Baysox Try out Basketball - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes Vs. Altoona - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves Vs. Bowie Baysox - - Game One of Four - - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- RubberDucks to Honor Browns Legend Joe Thomas with New Extreme Food Item
- RubberDucks National Anthem Auditions Set for March 17
- RubberDucks Release Full 2018 Promotional Calendar
- RubberDucks Announce Staff Changes for 2018 Season
- RubberDucks Six-Hour Suite Heart Special Sale Is February 22