Juninho and Leonardo to return to the LA Galaxy in 2012February 8, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Los Angeles Galaxy Press Release
Juninho, who is scheduled to return to Southern California next week ahead of the Galaxy's preseason trip to Arizona, was an All-Star for the Galaxy last season and has been an ever-present force in the center of the Galaxy midfield over the past two seasons, starting 55 regular season games as well as six of the club's seven postseason matches. One of the breakout stars in MLS last season, the 23-year-old appeared in and started 30 regular season games for the Galaxy, scoring four goals and adding two assists while combining with David Beckham to form one of the best central midfield duos in Major League Soccer. His impact on the field was even more profound in the CONCACAF Champions League, where he scored the game-winning goal in each of LA's final two games in group play, giving the Galaxy a 2-1 home win over Morelia and a 1-0 win at Motagua, which gave LA a first place finish in Group A. Following the 2011 MLS season, Juninho signed a contract extension with Sao Paulo and began training with the club's first team in early January.
Leonardo, who turned 24-years-old on Sunday, was a key figure in the center of the Galaxy defense at the start of both the 2010 and 2011 seasons, but was limited by injures during his first two seasons with the Galaxy, playing in 17 of the club's 64 regular season games in that time. After appearing in and starting 10 games for the club in 2010, the six-foot-two Sao Paulo native started each of LA's first seven games in 2011, helping them go 3-1-3 and keep three clean sheets while even scoring the first goal of his MLS career in the 1-0 home win over Philadelphia on April 2. However, late in the club's 2-1 win in Chicago on April 17, Leonardo suffered a severe right knee injury, tearing both the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL), which forced him to undergo surgery and miss the remainder of the season. He has been continuing his rehabilitation throughout the offseason and will return to Los Angeles tonight in order to move forward with his rehabilitation as he approaches a return to full fitness.
Juninho, Leonardo and the rest of the LA Galaxy will play their first official game of 2012 on Wednesday, March 7 when they face Toronto FC in the first leg of their 2011/12 CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinal, which will be played at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. They will open the 2012 MLS season three days later on Saturday, March 10 when they host Real Salt Lake at The Home Depot Center in MLS First Kick 2012, presented by Dick's Sporting Goods. That game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. (PT) and tickets are on sale now as part of season ticket packages as well as three and six-game plans. For more information about this game or to purchase tickets, please visit www.lagalaxy.com/tickets.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 8, 2012
- Impact Loses 2-0 Against the Houston Dynamo - Montreal Impact
- Rapids Receive Draft Pick in Trade with Houston - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo Acquire Forward Macoumba Kandji - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United's Kurt Morsink Undergoes Successful Surgery - D.C. United
- Timbers Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale February 28 - Portland Timbers
- Seahawks and Sounders FC Announce New Regional Partner - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting Kansas City Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Defeat Montreal Impact 2-0 - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake's Summer Showdown at Seattle Sounders FC Moved to Wednesday, October 17 - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Academy Opens Registration for Spring Training Program - D.C. United
- Crew Drops 2-1 Decision in Preseason Action - Columbus Crew SC
- Date Change: Sounders FC to Host Real Salt Lake on October 17 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Juninho and Leonardo to return to the LA Galaxy in 2012 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Dynamo, MultiMedios Houston Announce TV Deal for 2012 Season - Houston Dynamo
- Columbus Crew Nets Regional Economic Benefits - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Colombian Forward Lionard Pajoy - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.