Phantoms Acquire Forward Jonathan Liau from OmahaFebruary 6, 2012 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Youngstown Phantoms
"[Liau] is a fast winger with some solid stick skills," Director of Player Personnel Jason Koehler said. "Since we lost [Stephen] Collins (lower body injury), we thought it would be a diligent move. He helps us out - provides some more forward depth - and brings some added experience as a second-year guy in this league."
Liau (pronounced LEE-oww) is a 5-foot-10, 175-pound right-handed winger from La Ca"=B1ada Flintridge, Calif. He registered 11 goals and nine assists in 59 games for the Lancers last season, and his four game-winning goals were the second most on the team.
Koehler said that Liau's speed is his biggest asset and that he can excel in variety different roles in Phantoms' lineup because of it.
"He has the speed and skills to play at the level of our top line, but also has the flexibility to play throughout our lineup and contribute," Koehler said. "And he is a Princeton commit like [Phantoms captain Mike] Ambrosia. He's got his head on right and should be a good fit with our locker room as we push for the playoffs."
In a separate transaction, the Phantoms dealt forward Zach Tatrn to the Corpus Christi IceRays of the North American Hockey League for future considerations. Tatrn registered two goals and an assist over 16 games this season.
"This was a tough decision," Noreen said. "Zach is a great player and an even better young man, who did everything the right way. We wish him nothing but the best in the future."
Liau is expected to make his debut for the Phantoms this weekend.
The Phantoms return to action this week with a home-and-home series against the Muskegon Lumberjacks. The Phantoms travel to Muskegon, Mich., on Friday to take on the Lumberjacks at 7:15 p.m. EST at L.C. Walker Arena, then return to home for a Sunday matinee at the Covelli Centre. The puck drops at 2 p.m. EST Sunday.
Sunday is a "Double Dollar Deal Day" where fans can get a 16-oz. beer, 16-oz. soda, hotdog or popcorn for the low price of just $2 each! And afterwards fans are invited to bring their own ice skates to take part in a postgame skate with the Phantoms players on the Covelli Centre ice.
Single game tickets for the 2011-12 season are on sale now. Season ticket and flex plans start at the low price of just $90. Call the Phantoms office today at 330.747.7825 for more information or to make a reservation today! For a complete Phantoms schedule, visit www.youngstownphantoms.com .
United States Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2012
- Fighting Saints Trade Youso to Odessa in NAHL - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Phantoms Center Austin Cangelosi Captures USHL's Weekly Award - Youngstown Phantoms
- Davis Named USHL Co-Offensive Player of the Week - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Ice Weekly - Indiana Ice
- Former Stampede Defenseman Nate Prosser Signs Two-Year Extension with Wild - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Cangelosi, Davis, Smith, and Skoff Earn Weekly USHL Awards - USHL
- Waterloo Black Hawks Name Players of the Week - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stampede Weekly Update: Herd Travel to Des Moines & Lincoln this Weekend - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Bucs, ARL Present Doxie Dash - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Bucs Talk Live Tonight at Overtime - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Phantoms Acquire Forward Jonathan Liau from Omaha - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.