Four Gamblers Selected to USHL/NHL Top Prospects GameJanuary 5, 2012 - United States Hockey League (USHL) Green Bay Gamblers
Schmaltz came to the Gamblers via a November trade with the Sioux City Musketeers. The Verona, Wisconsin native is ranked the eighth best North American prospect for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft by NHL Central Scouting. As a rookie last season, Schmaltz led all USHL defensemen in scoring (44 points). For his efforts Schmaltz was named First Team All-USHL and USHL All Rookie team. On the international level, Schmaltz won gold medals at the 2010 World Junior "A" Challenge as a member of United States Junior Select Team and at the World Challenge U-17 Tournament. Schmaltz, also named to the 2011 U.S. Junior Select Team, is committed to the University of North Dakota (WCHA). This season Schmaltz is ranked second in scoring for all defensemen in the USHL with eight goals and eight assists and scored his first shorthanded goal in his USHL career in a 10-1 victory over the Chicago Steel.
Mermis was selected in the first round by the Gamblers at the 2011 USHL Entry Draft. Mermis laced up the skates last season for the United States Under-17 team in Ann Arbor, Michigan. In 36 USHL games for the red, white and blue, he registered four goals and four assists. Mermis cracked the Lincoln Stars line-up at just 15 years of age during the 2009-10 season. Mermis is the second player in his family to play in the USHL. His brother Jarrod played three seasons, splitting time between the Sioux City Musketeers and Lincoln Stars. Both brothers captured national championships for their respective teams in 2007 on the same day 300 miles apart - Jarrod with the Jr. Blues and Dakota with the Affton Americans. Dakota will join his brother at the University of Denver at the completion of his USHL career. This season Mermis has scored 4 goals and 8 assists.
Schilkey came to the Gamblers fresh off representing the United States this past summer in Europe at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament. Schilkey also saw action at the international level in 2010 at the Five Nations Tournament in Hutwill, Switzerland. At the Five Nations, Schilkey tallied four goals against Germany to clinch the gold medal for the U.S. Back in the states, Schilkey played a key role in leading his Honeybaked Midget Major team to the 2011 Michigan Amateur Hockey Association State Championship. With Honeybaked, the Ohio State recruit tallied a team high 20 goals and 29 assist in 39 games. With the Gamblers this season, Schilkey has scored 7 goals and 9 assists with a plus 10 plus/minus rating.
Kile came to the Gamblers via the Honeybaked Midget Major program. He and Gamblers teammate Nicholas Schilkey led Honeybaked to the Michigan Amateur Hockey Association State Championship. With Honeybaked, Kile compiled a statistical line of 21 goals and 28 assists in 40 games. He has played in 28 games this season for the Gamblers tallying 6 goals and 7 assists. Kile is committed to the University of Michigan
The game, which is the first of its kind for the USHL, will showcase many of the top USHL players eligible for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. A total of 30 players selected are in their first year of eligibility for the NHL Entry Draft. Seven of the players are draft-eligible for the second time this year. In addition, the USHL will showcase three players who are eligible to be drafted by NHL teams in 2013.
The selection process for the players was completed in cooperation with USHL General Managers, NHL scouts and decision makers and NHL Central Scouting.
"We're proud to be able to provide such a great night and stage for some of our young stars," said USHL President and Commissioner Skip Prince. "It's also a credit not just to the players, but the education-based American development model we celebrate in the USHL - that is, that you can remain NCAA-eligible, play Division I college hockey, and fulfill the dream of playing in the National Hockey League."
United States Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2012
- Cangelosi's Clutch Shorty Gives New Life, Phantoms Win 4-3 in Shootout - Youngstown Phantoms
- Wild Finish Goes Youngstown's Way - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Four Gamblers Selected to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Green Bay Gamblers
- Three Stampede Players Selected for USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Two Bucs Named to USHL Top Prospects Event - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Gamblers Weekly - Green Bay Gamblers
- Lancers Goaltender Lyon Named to 2012 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Omaha Lancers
- Phantoms' Bradley, Cangelosi and Zehnal Named to USHL/NHL Prospect Game Roster - Youngstown Phantoms
- Four Fighting Saints Named to USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Four Lumberjacks Chosen for Top Prospects Game - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Four Fargo Force Players Selected to the 2012 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - Fargo Force
- Rosters Set for 2012 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - USHL
- Five Hawks to Appear in Prospects Showcase - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Ice Home Saturday - Indiana Ice
- Black Hawks Fans Can Collect a Little History - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tri-City Storm News & Notes - Week 15 - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.