Arizona Complete Two Trades with MissouriJanuary 2, 2012 - Central Hockey League (CHL) - Arizona Sundogs
Kaunisto, 25, is currently in his third pro season and joins the Sundogs after skating for Missouri and the Allen Americans this year also. The 6-foot, 200-pound blueliner currently has 10 points (three goals, seven assists) in 23 games played. Last year as a rookie, Kaunisto (kaw-NEE-stoh) appeared in 62 games for the Wichita Thunder with a +10 rating and tallied 20 points on five goals and 15 assists. The Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan native played four seasons at Lake Superior State University before turning pro.
Gurtler, 24, has only appeared in 16 pro games split over two seasons. In nine appearances for the Mavericks this year the 6-foot-2, 196-pound forward has recorded a goal and an assist. Gurtler (GURT-ler) also played in seven games last season for the ECHL's Bakersfield Condors. The Rochester, New York native completed a four-year career at Mercyhurst College in 2011.
In his second season with the Sundogs, Schafer (SHAY-fer) appeared in 19 games, scoring two goals and three assists with a -3 rating. Szuper (leh-VEN-tay ZOO-per) was 2-6-4 this season for the Sundogs with a 3.17 GAA and a .918 SV% in 15 appearances.
The Arizona Sundogs continue their 10-game home stand against the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees on Tuesday. Game time is set for 7:05 PM.
The Arizona Sundogs are the Central Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes. Their sixth season and the 2012 CHL All-Star Game on January 11th are sponsored by Cliff Castle Casino-Hotel. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single-game ticket information are now available by calling (928) 759-6600 or visiting arizonasundogs.com.
Central Hockey League Stories from January 2, 2012
- Summers Named CHL Player of the Week; Richards Traded to Dayton - Wichita Thunder
- Shots from the Point for January 2, 2012 - CHL
- Wichita's Matt Summers Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Acquire Szuper and Schafer in Trades with Arizona - Missouri Mavericks
- Mallards Weekly Update: January 2, 2012 - Quad City Mallards
- Arizona Complete Two Trades with Missouri - Arizona Sundogs
- Komets Streak into the New Year; Gems Visit Friday and Sunday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Rgv Killer Bees Weekly; Bees Remain on Road - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Weekly Update - Arizona Sundogs
- Bloomington Blaze Weekly - Bloomington Blaze
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.