Jammers Skid Continues at Williamsport with 5-1 LossAugust 20, 2011 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Jamestown Jammers
The Crosscutters, who had lost six of seven to Jamestown this season, jumped on Helpi Reyes for four runs in the ï¬rst inning and never looked back to stay in the hunt for the wild card. On the other hand, the loss drops the purple and green (29-31) to a season-worst two games below .500.
Brian McConkey paced the offense with two hits and a run scored, and Josh Adams had a double for a Jamestown attack that matched Williamsport's seven hits.
While the Jammers struggled to string hits together, the Crosscutters pieced together three hits in the ï¬rst inning to jump out to an insurmountable early advantage.
Peter Lavin singled to start the frame before Kyrell Hudson walked. Geancarlo Mendez roped a triple to right to plate two runs. Bob Stumpo walked then Luis Unda grounded out to score another run and move Stumpo to second. Cody Asche then added a single of his own to make it 4-0.
Jamestown had a chance to swing back some momentum in the top of the second with two men on and one out; however, the next two batters were retired to end the threat.
Neither team would even have an opportunity to score until the bottom of the seventh inning when Peter Lavin roped a triple to right to extend the advantage.
While things looked bleak, Jamestown attempted to mount a comeback in the ninth.
McConkey singled with one out before Adams drilled a double to plate the only Jamestown run.
For Williamsport, Lavin triggered the offense with three hits, including the triple, a RBI and a run scored, and Mendez chipped in a double, a triple and two RBI. On the mound, Adam Morgan earned the win after tossing 5 shutout frames, giving up four hits and fanning four.
Reyes took the loss after the rocky start, but he bounced back from the ï¬rst by giving up just two hits and walking none in the ï¬nal ï¬ve innings.
Jamestown and Williamsport will be back in action Sunday at 5:05 p.m.
New York-Penn League Stories from August 20, 2011
- Seventh Inning Run Propels Auburn to Win - Auburn Doubledays
- Victory Over Aberdeen Gets Record Back to .500 - Connecticut Tigers
- Freeman's Hustle Not Enough - State College Spikes
- Crosscutters improve to 2-6 - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Jammers Skid Continues at Williamsport with 5-1 Loss - Jamestown Jammers
- Cyclones fall to Tri-City - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Lake Monsters Score Season-High 14 Runs In 14-4 Victory On Saturday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- IronBirds' Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short, Tigers Win 4-3 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- State College Spikes Game Notes - August 20 at Auburn - State College Spikes
- Aberdeen IronBirds Game Notes - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Doubledays Sweep IronBirds, Remain in First - Auburn Doubledays
- Benedict Superb, But Spikes Falter Late to Drop 6-4 Decision to Renegades - State College Spikes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.