Generals Drop Opener in HuntsvilleJune 9, 2011 - Southern League (SL) Jackson Generals
Kyle Seager was 2-for-4 and has hit safely in 13 straight games. Rich Poythress was 2-for-4 also Thursday. Logan Schafer, Erik Komatsu and Steffan Wilson had two hits eacn to pace Huntsville's 11-hit attack.
General's starter Erasmo Ramirez gave up five runs on seven hits and was lifted after two innings on the hill. It was his shortest outing of the season. Wily Peralta (4-6) struck out a season high 10 batters, earning the win for Huntsville. Peralta allowed two runs in six innings. Daniel Meadows picked up his first save of the season, tossing three scoreless innings behind Peralta.
With two outs, in the bottom of the second inning, Huntsville rallied for five runs against Ramirez. Martin Maldonado, Erik Komatsu and Sean Halton had an RBI single, while Logan Schafer drove in two with a single. The Stars sent 10 batters to the plate during the inning.
The Generals put a dent in the lead during the top of the third by scoring two runs after loading the bases with no outs. Jake Shaffer reached on a fielder's choice that scored the first run and Johermyn Chavez hit a sacrifice fly to left making the score 5-2.
The Stars added their sixth run in the bottom of the seventh inning. Erik Komatsu singled in Martin Maldonado to make it 6-2 Huntsville.
The Generals and Stars play game two Friday night at Joe Davis Stadium, with first pitch set for 6:43 PM. All Star starting pitcher Jarrett Grube (63-1, 3.57) takes the mound for Jackson against RHP Michael Fiers (2-2, 4.40). The Generals are 5-1 against the Stars this season. The game can be heard on Jackson's NewsTalk 101.5 FM and jacksongeneralsbaseball.com.
The Jackson Generals are the Double-A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners and a member of the Southern League. Individual game tickets, flex plans, and group packages with the Generals are on sale. For more information and to reserve your seats at Pringles Park, call 731-988-5299 or visit www.jacksongeneralsbaseball.com.
Southern League Stories from June 9, 2011
- Three Smokies Homers Topple Mudcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Braves Surrender Ninth-Straight Home Game - Mississippi Braves
- Peralta's 10 Ks Shoot Stars Past Generals, 6-2 in Game One - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Crush Carolina 9-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Corbin Sets BayBears Record in Win Over Barons - Mobile BayBears
- BayBears Bind Barons, 4-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Barnese Hurls Six Shutout in 4th-Straight Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Generals Drop Opener in Huntsville - Jackson Generals
- Suns Fall to Biscuits 5-2 - Jacksonville Suns
- Goldschmidt Named SL Topps May Player of the Month - Mobile BayBears
- Two Huntsville Pitchers Added to Southern League All-Star Roster - Huntsville Stars
- Four Smokies Named to North's All-Star Starting Lineup - Tennessee Smokies
- IF Jose Castro to DL - Carolina Mudcats
- Jarrett Grube Named North Division All-Star Starter - Jackson Generals
- Barons Host Auctions for Tornado Relief - Birmingham Barons
- 2011 Southern League North Division All-Star Starting Lineup - SL
- C.J. Retherford Released, Kenshin Kawakami Activated - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.