Big innings let Silver Hawks sink Kernels, 8-3June 2, 2011 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
South Bend sent nine batters to the plate and scored three times in the 4th inning to take a 3-1 lead against Kernels starter Brian Diemer. An RBI double by Roberto Rodriguez scored Chris Jarrett, tying the game 1-1. Diemer issued two straight walks with the bases loaded, giving the Silver Hawks a 3-1 lead.
The Kernel used three pitchers in the 5th inning as the Silver Hawks brought 10 more to plate in the 5th inning and scored five times. The Silver Hawks had six hits in the inning, including four straight singles. RBI hits were recorded by Ramon Castillo, Raul Navarro, Ender Inciarte, Mike Freeman, and Raywilly Gomez extended South Bend's lead to 8-1.
Diemer (5-4) started and took the loss. He went four innings and allowed five runs on seven hits while striking out two and walking seven. Dakota Robinson pitched 0.2 inning and allowed three runs on five hits. Caleb Graham pitched 2.1 innings and allowed no runs on two hits while striking out two and walking two. Daniel Tillman pitched one inning and allowed no runs on no hits while striking out one.
The Kernels scored single runs in the 6th inning and 7th inning to cut South Bend's lead to 8-3. In the 6th inning, Brandon Decker singled with one out. He came home on a double by Jeremy Cruz. Cruz was not awarded an RBI because South Bend center fielder Ender Inciarte bobbled the ball in deep left center for an error, allowing Decker to score. In the 7th inning, Jerod Yakubik singled to lead off the inning. Jesus Campos then walked to put runners at 1st and 2nd base. On a single with one out by Wes Hatton, Yakubik scored on a throwing error by center fielder Inciarte.
J.R. Bradley (2-7) picked up the win in 5.2 innings. He allowed two runs (one earned) on five hits while striking out four and walking two. Keith Cantwell pitched 1.1 innings and allowed one unearned run on two hits while striking out one and walking one. Jeremy Erben pitched two innings and allowed no runs on two hits while striking out two.
Decker and Yakubik led the offense with two hits and one run scored each. Campos, Travis Witherspoon, Hatton, and Jeremy Cruz each had one hit.
The Kernels continue the road trip at West Michigan on Friday night at 6:00 pm. Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, 1450 KMRY AM. Fans may also listen online at www.kmryradio.com or www.kernels.com . Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels Ticket Office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from June 2, 2011
- LumberKings Hold off Fort Wayne 9-8 - Clinton LumberKings
- Well Dunn: Rattlers Beat Hot Rods 6-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Loons Walk off with the Series Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Clinton Outlasts TinCaps, 9-8 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fitzgerald Error Lifts Lugs In 9th, 4-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Whitecaps Swept By River Bandits - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Double Up Beloit 4-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Loons Win 4-3 in Ninth Inning Thriller - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Pound Out 20 Hits in 11-5 Win Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Ripple Whitecaps - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Jones Blasts Cougars Past Captains - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Avoid Sweep, Beat Captains 4-2 - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits Unveil All-Star Week Events - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Barnhart, Hayes Selected as Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Former LumberKing Maikel Cleto Called up to St. Louis - Clinton LumberKings
- Braun Returns to Dragons - Dayton Dragons
- Big innings let Silver Hawks sink Kernels, 8-3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Wins on School Day at the Cove - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Dragons MVPs to Celebrate at Fifth Third Field on Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for Thursday, June 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Roster Announced for Donald Driver Softball Game - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Fight Back Against Cancer - Burlington Bees
- Kernels Come From Behind To Edge South Bend, 8-7 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.