Dan Kelly, Evan Whitfield and Oscar Guzman Named Official Chicago Fire Broadcast TeamMarch 25, 2011 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Chicago Fire Press Release
Kelly returns for his second season as the official voice of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club. Prior to joining the Fire as the club's play-by-play announcer, the St. Louis native called play-by-play for the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks on Comcast SportsNet from 2006-2008. In addition, Kelly has done play-by-play for the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Big Ten Network, the University of Denver Men's hockey team and for MLS games on HDNet. Kelly got his start in 1997 as the radio announcer for the St. Louis Blues. Kelly comes from a family of well-established play-by-play broadcasters. His father, the late Dan Kelly, Sr., was the legendary voice of the St. Louis Blues for 21 seasons and his brother, John Kelly, is the current voice of the Blues.
Whitfield, a constant in the Fire lineup during his five seasons on the field with the Men in Red, will make his broadcast debut Saturday for the club's Opening Day. Whitfield appeared in 103 matches, starting 78, tallying three goals and 12 assists for the Fire. While manning the defensive midfield in Chicago, the Duke University product captured the 2000 and 2003 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cups. A Phoenix, Arizona native, Whitfield represented the United States at the 2000 Summer Olympics, helping the U.S. to a fourth place finish in Sydney. Since retiring from professional soccer in 2005, Whitfield acquired his Juris Doctorate from DePaul University. In addition to being the Fire's color analyst, Whitfield is an attorney at Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP.
Guzman joins the Fire's television broadcast after serving as the voice of the Fire on Spanish-language radio for the past seven seasons. Originally from Mexico City, Mexico, Guzman has covered the Olympic Games, the World Series, the Super Bowl, Copa Liberatadores and the World Cup. Prior to joining Telemundo Chicago as the lead sports anchor, Guzman worked for Fox Sports and Mexico's National Radio and Television networks. A winner of a two Emmy Awards (2009,2010), Guzman also writes a weekly column for Spanish-language website Mediotiempo.com.
To view the full Chicago Fire broadcast schedule click here: http://www.chicago-fire.com/schedule or head to Chicago-Fire.com .
The Fire kickoff their 2011 home schedule when they host Opening Day at TOYOTA PARK against Sporting Kansas City Presented by T-Mobile on Saturday, March 26 at 3:00 PM CT (My50/TeleFutura). Chicago Fire Season Tickets and single game tickets are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE (657-3473), via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at Chicago-Fire.com .
Major League Soccer Stories from March 25, 2011
- Earthquakes Sign Forward Matt Luzunaris - San Jose Earthquakes
- Portland Timbers to Visit Toronto FC - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Faces Rivals Chicago Fire on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Set to Host San Jose Earthquakes Saturday - FC Dallas
- Sparta United Becomes First Partner of Real Salt Lake/adidas "Royal Coalition" Development Program - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Announces Discipline for Joseph, Percovich - MLS
- Dan Kelly, Evan Whitfield and Oscar Guzman Named Official Chicago Fire Broadcast Team - Chicago Fire
- Kevin Harmse Returns to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Signs Midfielder Brandon Barklage - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Hit the Road to Face 2010 MLS Cup Finalist FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Partner with American Red Cross to Raise Money to Help Victims of Japan Earthquake - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Events: Saturday, March 26 V. L.A. Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Red Bulls Go "All In" in New adidas "All Red Bulls" Promotion - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Striker Omar Salgado Available for Selection - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bulls Sign Goalkeeper Alex Horwath - New York Red Bulls
- The World's Top Soccer Clubs Face off this Summer in the 2011 World Football Challenge - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.