Heat Fall in Shootout 3-2January 16, 2011 - American Hockey League (AHL) Abbotsford Heat
After an aggressive but scoreless first period both teams would get things going in the second combining for a total of four goals. The Heat would start things off while playing four on four hockey as they would open the scoring just 31 seconds into the second period. Heat forward Jon Rheault would fire home a rebound over the glove of Toronto net minder James Reimer to give the Heat an early 1-0 second period lead. John Armstrong would increase that lead to two at 2:07, getting his second in as many games on a two on one, beating Reimer and making it a 2-0 Heat early in the second.
Toronto would respond at 5:36 of the second frame with Mike Zigomanis collecting his second goal in two games. Zigomanis would break in alone on Heat goaltender Leland Irving and snap a shot top corner stick side past Irving to make it a 2-1 game. The Marlies would even things up at two late in the second at 18:34, as defenseman Juraj Mikus would backhand a cross crease feed from teammate Fabian Brunnstrom into the Heat goal, making it a 2-2 game going into the third.
The third period and an eventful overtime frame would fail to solve anything between the two division rivals sending the game to a shoot out. Jerry D'Amigo of the Toronto Marlies would be the sole player to score in the shootout putting one past Irving to give the baby Leafs the victory over the Abbotsford Heat. James Reimer would stymie all five Heat shooters, just the first time this year that Abbotsford would fail to score in the shootout.
The Heat will take on the Peoria Riverman next this Tuesday at the AESC with the puck dropping at 7:00pm.
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2011
- Whale Tops AHL's Best 6-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Edge Bears 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Second-Period Charge Leads Admirals Over Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Ground Aeros, 3-2 in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Scared Away by Monsters in 6-4 Loss; Drop Fourth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Take Over Second Place with 4-2 Victory at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Senators Slide Past Bears 2-1 Sunday - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Take Sole Possession of Third Place with Shootout Point - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Wolves - San Antonio Rampage
- Bruins Assign Bartkowski to Providence - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Halt Rampage, 5-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Iced by Adirondack, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Offense Lights it Up with Season-High 5 Goals - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fire 45 Shots in 2-0 Loss in Providence - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Sink Sharks 2-0 - Providence Bruins
- Halsichuk, Thuresson Switch Spots - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Fall in Shootout 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Lose to Pirates 4-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Out-Distance Falcons - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Recall Maclean from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Blues Return Ian Cole to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Netminder Pasquale Rejoins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Preview: Aeros, Griffins Collide at 4 P.M. - Houston Aeros
- B-Sens Sign Forward Andrew Sweetland - Binghamton Senators
- Game Night: Amerks, Monsters Square off Again Tonight at Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Senators Recall Goaltender Mike Brodeur from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.