Scott Mayfield Named Junior 'A' Challenge MVP, USA Claims Gold MedalNovember 15, 2010 - United States Hockey League (USHL) - Youngstown Phantoms Press Release
For Team USA it took wins against Team Canada East and Sweden to move onto the semi-finals for a match-up against last year's silver medalist, Team Canada West. Team USA and Mayfield dismantled the Canadian squad 5-1, as they advanced to the gold medal game for the third time in as many years.
"This just shows that USA hockey can compete with any team," said Mayfield. "This shows that the junior level of hockey in the US is just as good as the junior league's you would find in Canada."
In the gold medal game, Team USA would face Group A opponent, Team Canada East for the second time in the tournament. With five minutes left in the second period Team USA trailed the Canadian East team 4-1, but according to Mayfield the team never lost their fight.
"They scored a couple of fluky backhand goals," said Mayfield. "We made a goalie change and we all fed off of each other to get back into the game. After we popped a few in we knew it was nowhere near over."
The Youngstown Phantom and University of Denver commit, recorded one assist and four penalty minutes during the four game tournament. It was his defensive play that earned him a spot on the tournament all-star team and his Jr. 'A' Challenge MVP award.
"This is the most amazing experience in hockey," said Mayfield. "It is an honor to receive these awards but I can't take all the credit. It was a team effort; there is no way I could have done this without the guys on the team."
Scott Mayfield and the Phantoms return to the Covelli Centre for three straight games before the Thanksgiving holiday. On Friday, November 19, the Omaha Lancers will square off with the Phantoms at 7:30 p.m. (EST). Friday night will be Harry Potter Dress up night at the Covelli Centre. The Phantoms host the Dubuque Fighting Saints on Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. (EST). Saturday is also scout night in downtown Youngstown. The Phantoms finish the three game homestand on Thanksgiving Eve against the Indiana Ice at 7:30 p.m. (EST). The game against Indiana will be a $1 beer and hot dog night.
Full and partial season and group tickets for the 2010-11 season are available now. Premium packages start as low as $264 for all 30 home games. As a season ticket holder you receive invites to Season Ticket Holder events, Playoff Ticket Priority, and many other great benefits. For more info, call 330-747-7825. For the complete schedule, please visit www.youngstownphantoms.com.
United States Hockey League Stories from November 15, 2010
- Scott Mayfield Named Junior 'A' Challenge MVP, USA Claims Gold Medal - Youngstown Phantoms
- "Behind the Glass" with the Youngstown Phantoms on ESPN 1240 - Youngstown Phantoms
- USHL Names Berry CCM Offensive Player of the Week - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Phantoms Pages: Week 7 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Denis Headed to Ferris State Next Season - Tri-City Storm
- Berry, Doerring, and Hjelle Earn Weekly USHL Awards - USHL
- Waterloo Black Hawks Name Players of the Week - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Lancers Continue 6-Game Road Trip With Trio Of Games Out East - Omaha Lancers
- Ice Home for Two this Week - Indiana Ice
- Stampede Close out Homestand this Weekend - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Bringing Home the Gold - Green Bay Gamblers
- Vienneau, Parker, Noel-Bernier to Make Radio Show Debut Tonight - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.