Craig Cunningham Named Vancouver Giants Team CaptainSeptember 22, 2010 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Vancouver Giants
"We are ecstatic to have Craig back for another year," said Hay. "He understands the identity of this team better than anybody and knows exactly what it takes to win at this level. He epitomizes the type of player our young guys can look up to and model their game after."
Last season, Cunningham finished 6th in the league in scoring with 37 goals, 60 assists, and 97 points. He was named a Western Conference first team all-star and the Western Conference Player of The Year. Thanks in large part to his outstanding season, he was selected by the Boston Bruins in the 4th round, 97th overall in the 2010 NHL entry draft. He is also the last remaining player from the Giants 2007 Memorial Cup Championship team.
"It's a honour to be named captain of such a first class organization," said Cunningham. "There have been a lot of great captains before me and I hope to carry on the tradition."
Cunningham will lead the Giants into their 10th anniversary season this Friday when they open the 2010-2011 WHL regular season on home ice vs. the Chilliwack Bruins. Game time is 7:30pm at the Pacific Coliseum.
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2010
- Craig Cunningham Named Vancouver Giants Team Captain - Vancouver Giants
- Oil Kings Trade Burns to Giants for Prospect Robin - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Vancouver Giants Acquire Michael Burns from Edmonton - Vancouver Giants
- 2010-11 WHL Eastern Conference Team-By-Team Preview - WHL
- Oil Kings Officially Launch 2010-11 Season - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Make a Deal with Seattle - Swift Current Broncos
- T-Birds Trade for Travis Bobbee - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Gal Returns from Philadelphia - Spokane Chiefs
- Kamloops Blazers Week in Review - Kamloops Blazers
- Blazers Announce 2010-11 Captains - Kamloops Blazers
- Western Hockey League and NeuLion Launch New Online Video Destination for WHL Fans - WHL
- WHL Launches 45th Regular Season - WHL
- Winterhawks Games to be on Alpha Broadcasting Radio Stations in 2010-11 - Portland Winterhawks
- Ranford Returns from Philadelphia - Kamloops Blazers
- Fight Night- Tie One on for Men's Cancer - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Dowling Returns - Swift Current Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.