Chivas USA Signs Bryan de la Fuente as a Home Grown PlayerAugust 25, 2010 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
De la Fuente becomes the fourth former Chivas USA youth player on the club's first team roster, joining local products Carlos Borja (Anaheim), Jorge Flores (Anaheim), and Cesar Zamora (Sylmar). Another former member of the Chivas USA youth system, Gerson Mayén (Los Angeles), is currently on loan at Miami FC.
"Bryan has been with the youth program for the last three years, and he's also been consistently with the U.S. U-20's playing for Thomas Rongen," said Head Coach Martín Vásquez. "We need to look at our youth program before we bring someone from outside. He's a player for the future of this team, but we're going to give him an opportunity, and help him develop in the short-term."
"I'm thrilled because this is a goal that I've had for a long time," said de la Fuente. "I had hoped this would happen from my first day in the [Chivas USA] academy, and now that dream has come true."
Born on July 1, 1992 in Laredo, Tex., de la Fuente moved to Zapopán, Mexico before his first birthday, growing up near Chivas de Guadalajara's Verde Valle training facilities. The versatile midfielder played in the Guadalajara youth system from 2005-2007 before moving to Bell, Calif., where he joined the Chivas USA Under-16 team coached by Miguel Ramos and Samuel Rivas. Moving up to the Chivas USA U-18's under coaches Sacha van der Most and José 'Cuco' Mancilla, de la Fuente played in the Copa Chivas in Guadalajara and the Copa Saprissa in Costa Rica, two of the most prestigious youth tournaments in the region. This year, de la Fuente has played for the United States U-20 National Team under head coach Thomas Rongen at the Dallas Cup and in the Milk Cup in Ireland, which the team won.
Chivas USA has brought many players through its youth system onto the first team, using a system that seeks to find and nurture new talent by developing the athletic, physical and personal aspects of each player. The Chivas USA Youth Teams practice at the Chivas USA Academy in Bell Gardens, where the club will be holding tryouts for young players this Thursday, August 26 at 4:00 p.m. PT. Players born between 1997 and 2003 (U-7 to U-13) will have a chance to show their skills in front of Chivas USA's Youth Team coaches. The tryouts are for the Chivas USA Academy at Bell Gardens, and the cost is $20 to participate. For more information, visit cdchivasusa.com/form/bgtryouts or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Red-and-White host D.C. United this Sunday, August 29 at 7:00 p.m. at The Home Depot Center in Carson. A special Kids Pack is available for the match, giving fans a free children's ticket with the purchase of an adult ticket for the match. For more information, please visit cdchivasusa.com or call 1-877-CHIVAS-1.
Major League Soccer Stories from August 25, 2010
- Chivas USA's Zamora and de la Fuente Named to U.S. Under-20 Roster for Matches in Peru - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chivas de Guadalajara to Face Seattle Sounders FC on October 12 - MLS
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Sandy City to Present Friday's "Heart of the Wasatch Cup" High School Football Contest at Rio Tinto - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United's Match at Colorado Rescheduled for 9:00 p.m. ET Kick-off - D.C. United
- Rapids Move Kickoff Times for Final Two Home Games - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Give General Manager John Doyle Contract Extension - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United Offers Discount on Season Tickets for First Time in Club History - D.C. United
- Chivas USA Signs Bryan de la Fuente as a Home Grown Player - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC to Host Chivas de Guadalajara on October 12 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Rookie Goalkeeper Sean Johnson Earns NAPA MLS Save of the Week Nomination - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.